Trevor Bauer

sevastras

I am curious what people think. If the Dodgers paid almost all of the remaining two years of his salary, would you want him on the team. Guy is a loner, smart and loves to rub people the wrong way. Is he a cancer or an unappreciated resource of knowledge. 
I posed a similar question about Luke Heimlich a few years back and the result was overwhelmingly, “Doesn’t matter how good he is, PR nightmare and we don’t want anything to do with him.”

Which I find interesting, because a lot of Os fans are Ravens fans, there seemed to be a blind eye toward Ray Rice(even with video proof) and Ray Lewis(seems to be just accusations, since no criminal charges were ever filed). 

My answer would be no, because the Os aren’t one good pitcher from being a contender and I wouldn’t want someone screwing with the heads of younger guys. That said, if he was on a short leash and sounded somewhat reformed to fall in line rather than toss a grenade in every room he walks into, I might give him a shot with a quick release if he started to taint the clubhouse water at all. 

5 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Why would the Dodgers pay all that money to get rid of him.  I'm sure people in Baltimore are more conservative than people in L.A.  Don't really want him anyway.  How would he react if the O's were going to lose 100 games next year with him on the team.?  I don't think you want to find out. 

How does MLB's lux tax work?  If LA trades him, does whatever they agree to pay of his salary count towards the lux tax limit?  

9 hours ago, sevastras said:

I am curious what people think. If the Dodgers paid almost all of the remaining two years of his salary, would you want him on the team. Guy is a loner, smart and loves to rub people the wrong way. Is he a cancer or an unappreciated resource of knowledge. 
I posed a similar question about Luke Heimlich a few years back and the result was overwhelmingly, “Doesn’t matter how good he is, PR nightmare and we don’t want anything to do with him.”

Which I find interesting, because a lot of Os fans are Ravens fans, there seemed to be a blind eye toward Ray Rice(even with video proof) and Ray Lewis(seems to be just accusations, since no criminal charges were ever filed). 

My answer would be no, because the Os aren’t one good pitcher from being a contender and I wouldn’t want someone screwing with the heads of younger guys. That said, if he was on a short leash and sounded somewhat reformed to fall in line rather than toss a grenade in every room he walks into, I might give him a shot with a quick release if he started to taint the clubhouse water at all. 

I wouldn’t have a problem with either guy. I wish people would really try to refrain from declaring guilt on the basis of accusation. There’s a long distance between being a jerk and being a criminal and too many people are eager to span the gap on the basis of too little.

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

I wouldn’t have a problem with either guy. I wish people would really try to refrain from declaring guilt on the basis of accusation. There’s a long distance between being a jerk and being a criminal and too many people are eager to span the gap on the basis of too little.

I mean, Heimlich pled guilty.  He is, in fact, a criminal.

I guess the same question regarding Marcell Ozuna.  He was cleared of felony charges but still has misdemeanor charges potentially pending.  There may (or may not) be more to his story, as his wife was previously charged with domestic assault against him.     

8 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Aroldis Chapman is playing. So Is Roberto Osuna. 

Ray Rice isn’t, and I think the biggest difference is the video. We don’t have as many details about Chapman, Osuna, and Ozuna. I think the extremely graphic nature of the accusations combined with Bauer’s history of anti-social behavior will effectively end his career. 

Just now, joelala said:

Ray Rice isn’t, and I think the biggest difference is the video. We don’t have as many details about Chapman, Osuna, and Ozuna. I think the extremely graphic nature of the accusations combined with Bauer’s history of anti-social behavior will effectively end his career. 

Rice would have played if he was younger and more effective at the time of the assault.  Kareem Hunt was on camera kicking a woman and he’s still playing.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, sevastras said:

The Orioles don't have any players with history with Bauer.  It isn't like Rice, where players might think they know the true guy.  He is way too much of a wild card given the accusations and has numerous times demonstrated poor judgment.  A young team like the Orioles don't need someone like him around.

5 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Rice would have played if he was younger and more effective at the time of the assault.  Kareem Hunt was on camera kicking a woman and he’s still playing.

That’s true. Joe Mixon too. 

It’s all complicated, but my gut feeling is that Bauer is done.