Cora Praises RMC and Talent in O's Bullpen

LA2

<https://www.mlb.com/gameday/red-sox-vs-orioles/2021/09/30/632294#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=videos,game=632294>

Seems to really admire RMC's ability to pull his hands in and rocket what he considered a perfectly-thrown pitch--not surprised, has been doing it all year. O's bullpen has good stuff, knew that from the get-go, but the problem is sometimes it's all over the place haha.

Anyway generous comments to close out the season's series between the two teams.

• Upvote 1

Funny, I feel like almost every bullpen in the league throws 2-3 mph faster than ours on average.   

Edit — I exaggerated, but not that much.  O’s rank 24th in bullpen fastball velocity, and last in the AL East:

NYY 95.5

BOS 94.9

TOR 94.3

TBR 93.7

BAL 93.5

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=rel&lg=all&qual=0&type=17&season=2021&month=0&season1=2021&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2021-01-01&enddate=2021-12-31&sort=3,d

Our starters are also 24th in MLB and last in the AL East, averaging 92.4.  

• Upvote 1

Velocity matters but I'm more concerned with overall results than where we rank on the velocity readings.    I think and hope it's possible to rank on the lower end of that scale and still be able to produce a top half pitching staff.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Velocity matters but I'm more concerned with overall results than where we rank on the velocity readings.    I think and hope it's possible to rank on the lower end of that scale and still be able to produce a top half pitching staff.

Oh, I agree, and if you’ve read my posts over the years you know I’m not that big on velocity over command and a good repertoire.   At the same time, I really do notice that a lot of other teams have numerous guys who throw 96+ in their pen, some of whom even know where the ball is going, unlike, say, Tanner Scott.  

On 10/1/2021 at 8:35 PM, Aristotelian said:

Our bullpen is atrocious. I'm sure he was just blowing smoke to make excuses for his team's lousy performance in a huge series. 

Yes, for sure, that's why I called them "generous comments."

We won the series against the Ys and RSox but both got WC slots. We got pummeled and swept by the Jays and they didn't make it into the postseason. We can't even spoil things correctly!

On 10/1/2021 at 3:00 PM, LA2 said:

<https://www.mlb.com/gameday/red-sox-vs-orioles/2021/09/30/632294#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=videos,game=632294>

Seems to really admire RMC's ability to pull his hands in and rocket what he considered a perfectly-thrown pitch--not surprised, has been doing it all year. O's bullpen has good stuff, knew that from the get-go, but the problem is sometimes it's all over the place haha.

Anyway generous comments to close out the season's series between the two teams.

I almost neg repped you for the title.

Kidding