Interesting comments by Harvey on Orioles strength and conditioning staff

Tony-OH

36 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Well, Elias DID fire two guys in the strength and conditioning department last week.   And in addition to Harvey's perhaps misinterpreted comments, we also heard that Zimmerman's injury may have been related to weight room activities.

So putting 2 and 2 and 2 together MIGHT come up with 6 here, but it's all speculative I agree.

And really no remedial addition is necessary.  He essentially said the injury was caused by the exercises they had him do - and I assume he said this to Roch - knowing that it was going to be publicly reported. That's the dictionary definition of throwing someone under the bus.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To be clear, he didn’t.   He said he thought the oblique injury might have come from a new exercise he tried.   He never blamed anyone, never said a word about anyone on the staff.   Never said anyone did anything wrong.   The thread title is a little misleading, because Harvey didn’t make any comments about the strength and conditioning staff.  

It's interesting how people can read the same thing and come up to completely different conclusions.  I couldn't disagree with your conclusion more.  

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Harvey said this about one of his injuries this year.

"The spring training thing, I’m about positive it had to do with a weight room thing. We tried a new core exercise, and then two days later, I blew my oblique out. So, it happened to be something that worked the oblique and I think it all adds up together, going from how I’ve never done that exercise to two days later I have a Grade 3 oblique strain. So, I think it just all kind of goes together."

Now don't get me wrong, Harvey could probably blow his elbow out opening a jar of peanut butter, but his comments were interesting none the less.

Harvey is a guy you gotta keep on the roster in the Orioles situation, in the one off chance he ever can stay healthy, but this is probably his last year.

Even if healthy, with EV and barrel rates over his career, you have to wonder if he'll ever be a guy you want in a high leverage situation in a close game.

I definitely raised several eyebrows at this blog this morning. 

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To be clear, he didn’t.   He said he thought the oblique injury might have come from a new exercise he tried.   He never blamed anyone, never said a word about anyone on the staff.   Never said anyone did anything wrong.   The thread title is a little misleading, because Harvey didn’t make any comments about the strength and conditioning staff.  

He didn't blame the staff per se but he blamed the exercise he made them do. That's about as close as you can come to blaming the staff without actually doing so. I don't think "throwing under the bus" interpretation is far off.

19 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

It's interesting how people can read the same thing and come up to completely different conclusions.  I couldn't disagree with your conclusion more.  

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He didn't blame the staff per se but he blamed the exercise he made them do. That's about as close as you can come to blaming the staff without actually doing so. I don't think "throwing under the bus" interpretation is far off.

Sorry, I don’t see it that way.   It’s not unusual for someone to have a gym-related injury from doing an entirely appropriate exercise.   

No need to reply, because I’m sure you aren’t going to change your minds.   We just have different ways of looking at the world.  

6 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

I take what Harvey says about injuries with a grain of salt. A really big grain of salt. 

I believe you would be taking it with a small grain of salt because the larger the grain the more faith you have in the comment. Then again, a grain is a defined unit of measure and it can neither be big or small. Like a heavy ounce or a light ounce, it is just an ounce. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Sorry, I don’t see it that way.   It’s not unusual for someone to have a gym-related injury from doing an entirely appropriate exercise.   

No need to reply, because I’m sure you aren’t going to change your minds.   We just have different ways of looking at the world.  

Just one more point.  I don't disagree with what you said there, but I'm not sure it's on point for this discussion.  He obviously knew he was talking to a reporter, and I think he knew the way many (if not most) people would interpret - rightly or wrongly - what he said.   

4 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Just one more point.  I don't disagree with what you said there, but I'm not sure it's on point for this discussion.  He obviously knew he was talking to a reporter, and I think he knew the way many (if not most) people would interpret - rightly or wrongly - what he said.   

I dunno.   You’re talking about a 26-year old who’s being asked to explain how he got each of his three injuries.   I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.   

Just now, Frobby said:

I dunno.   You’re talking about a 26-year old who’s being asked to explain how he got each of his three injuries.   I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.   

Well, I think ya have to be somewhat of a hick to not understand those things by 26.    

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Although I agree with you, and I wish I could take back some of my comments, although not the basic one about the kind of coaching we need, I read all this and think not for the first time that there is a great deal of skill in implicating someone in some thing without obviously implicating them.

it is eminently possible that he chose his words very carefully, but with the specific purpose of getting somebody fired or otherwise disciplined. It is also possible although less likely, that he said what he said and someone interpreted it incorrectly.

The most interesting thing is that each side of this interpretation has the exact same facts to evaluate. As far as I’m concerned, if Hunter was not Seeking the outcome that occurred, he should contact Mike and clarify that nobody should be fired because of his comments. If he does not that would lend wait to the “throwing under the bus” crowd.

And it’s possible that maybe his motive is just that he likes being able to-subtly-blame somebody for his latest injury, it is just human to suggest that someone else is at fault.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

And it’s possible that maybe his motive is just that he likes being able to-subtly-blame somebody for his latest injury, it is just human to suggest that someone else is at fault.

I think he is aware that he currently has the label "injury prone" which stands to cost him many millions of dollars in free agency. He has an interest in floating other possible explanations. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

I think he is aware that he currently has the label "injury prone" which stands to cost him many millions of dollars in free agency. He has an interest in floating other possible explanations. 

Wow, that is Machiavellian thinking.   He’s not going to earn one more cent if people think he got an oblique injury from doing some ill-advised exercise, as opposed to some other reason.   

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Bold of him to assume his arm won’t have fallen off by then. 

• Haha 1