2021 Orioles #10 Prospect - Connor Norby - 2B

Tony-OH

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Respect that the coin flipped to Norby over Vavra. Both are top solid 2nd base prospects. We have a pretty solid pipeline at 2B at the moment. Urias->Jones->Vavra->Norby. 

Westburg also figures in.  I hope Jones is a Use only in the case of an emergency option.  

I probably have a little bias against Norby because he’s already limited to 2B coming out of the draft and seems like more of a “baseball rat” kind of guy rather than an athlete.   But hey, they said that about Dustin Pedroia.   I’m looking forward to seeing how quickly Norby moves up the chain.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I probably have a little bias against Norby because he’s already limited to 2B coming out of the draft and seems like more of a “baseball rat” kind of guy rather than an athlete.   But hey, they said that about Dustin Pedroia.   I’m looking forward to seeing how quickly Norby moves up the chain.  

You mean "how fast he scurries up the chain".  Rat reference ...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I haven't read all of these, but it seems most of these guys are defensive liabilities.

I've been saying it for years but this organization needs to get more ++ defenders in the organization, especially guys with + arms

I mean from reading the Kierstadt  review it looks like we used a 1-2 to pick a DH, who I guess can  replace DJ Stewart on the 40 man roster

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I haven't read all of these, but it seems most of these guys are defensive liabilities.

I've been saying it for years but this organization needs to get more ++ defenders in the organization, especially guys with + arms

I mean from reading the Kierstadt  review it looks like we used a 1-2 to pick a DH, who I guess can  replace DJ Stewart on the 40 man roster

So we need more guys like Grenier?

Maybe some glove first corner outfielders?

Lots of glove men in left field in the majors what with how many balls are put into play these days.

Norby painted his Best Case outcome clearly enough for me for the time being when he gave a precise Whit Merrifield answer to a question in the ballpark of Who was your favorite player?, Who do you model yourself after?, etc.

(Whit took 3000 minor league PA hitting .274 before managing .291 in his first 3000 in the Show, so..take that translations.)

Norby feels similar to Mountcastle in that its a HIT-heavy bundle of talent, but dissimilar in that there probably aren't defensive spectrum decisions to sift through.    Fingers crossed he can play up to the Mayo/Westburg/Henderson tier to give us four guys for three spots with regular profiles.

Two-hit Connor doesn't rhyme, though.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Norby painted his Best Case outcome clearly enough for me for the time being when he gave a precise Whit Merrifield answer to a question in the ballpark of Who was your favorite player?, Who do you model yourself after?, etc.

(Whit took 3000 minor league PA hitting .274 before managing .291 in his first 3000 in the Show, so..take that translations.)

Norby feels similar to Mountcastle in that its a HIT-heavy bundle of talent, but dissimilar in that there probably aren't defensive spectrum decisions to sift through.    Fingers crossed he can play up to the Mayo/Westburg/Henderson tier to give us four guys for three spots with regular profiles.

Two-hit Connor doesn't rhyme, though.

After watching the ATL quad, how would our group of five stack up to Freeman, Albies, Swanson and Riley in a perfect future?  ATL looked pretty good as did HOU, for that matter, HOU even better IMO.  If we don't match up at least closely, should we punt or accept mediocrity?  Axing for myself.  

Somewhat rhetorical, I suppose, but wondering out loud for the OH entirety.  @Frobby@Tony-OH, etc.

33 minutes ago, bobmc said:

After watching the ATL quad, how would our group of five stack up to Freeman, Albies, Swanson and Riley in a perfect future?  ATL looked pretty good as did HOU, for that matter, HOU even better IMO.  If we don't match up at least closely, should we punt or accept mediocrity?  Axing for myself.  

Mayo and Henderson are the ones to me that feel like there may be a run at the Riley/Freeman type things.    One thing Elias has been in public comments is tools-sensitive, labeling for example Westburg as a "tooled-up college shortstop", which I hear as implying they usually aren't.   Which makes sense...I think the 30 clubs are pretty good at keeping the loudest tools off campus.   Riley and Freeman were both 2nd round high schoolers where the dream comes/is coming true, just like I wish on for our guys.

Dansby is pure SEC blue blood...if Carter Young goes nuts, he could become Orioles Dansby, unless Decision Sciences says put $$$$ on Dansby himself for 2023.   Albies 1.7.1997 is that dream ride for a Club where at 16 (signed 7.2.2013) he doesn't look world-elite, but then by 20 he is, and he doesn't even have Jasson/Adley money in the bank.

• Thanks 1

I like Norby a lot.  Was a bit surprised by the K rate at Delmarva, but it was his first season of pro ball.  If he gets the K rate down closer to 15% then he will be a consistent .300 hitter with damn good onbase skills.  I think that ceiling is not unrealistic.

Seems like a mature, patient hitter with some decent tools to go along with it.  

• Upvote 1