Giants claim Hunter Harvey off waivers

SilverRocket

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just as well honestly.  It would be irritating if my sport information feed was filled with 30 teams removing guys off their 40 man rosters all week.

Agreed for the most part.  But I would've thought removing Harvey from the 40 would'e been newsworthy.  It's not like he's Eric Hanhold, who I was fine with not reading about until the Pirates claimed him. 

I said it weeks ago, all the talent in the world does nothing if it cannot get on the field. We have to assume the team knows things we do not. So, the Giants take a flier on him. So what. Quit with the Yaz comps, please. In nine years here, he pitched what, 23.2 innings in Baltimore? He cannot be used two days in a row. And he was not very good when he was healthy the past two years.

I had heard he had issues with his offseason work and dedication to his craft, but that is heresay. I have no direct knowledge of that, but it might explain why he is always injured. Good luck. We need the 40 man space to have guys who can actually pitch. 

• Upvote 1

I thought that Hunter and Diaz might go at some point his off season.   Elias is going to need space for the players he brings in and if neither player projects to stay healthy enough to help the team they probably should not be on the 40 man.   

Can't worry about what they might do for another team.   That stuff just happens.  Its more important to build a team of players that are likely to help in 2022-23.

As far as other players on the 40 that you think should go first.....they probably are not safe either.

• Like 1

It's possible we could return the favor to SF and get 27 year old injury-prone Joe McCarthy from them.  He OPS'd .926 in AAA this year in 74 games.  He wouldn't be a major acquisition - but maybe a nice cheap one.  https://www.talkingchop.com/2021/11/4/22763466/2021-2022-minor-league-free-agents-of-interest

Joe McCarthy (1B/OF, SFG)

McCarthy’s star has fallen over the past few years, but there’s still plenty there for a team to take a gamble on. Offensively, his bat is the main selling point, as he’s generally been above-average with the bat coupled with good pitch recognition. While power isn’t his strong suit, he still possesses at least average power, although he will need to consistently elevate the ball to make full use of it. And while McCarthy isn’t a standout defender, he’s good enough to at least be capable at either outfield corner or first base. He’s not exactly likely to become an All-Star, but it’s realistic to see an outcome similar to the Rockies’ Connor Joe, who makes the most of the tools he has to be a useful role player.

Unfortunately, while all of the above are fine, the main limiter on McCarthy is his injury history. His back in particular has been a recurring problem for him the past few years, which has not only turned his development into a series of stop-and-start occurrences, it’s also prevented him from fully tapping into his power potential. As such, McCarthy comes with an extra layer of volatility in that he could potentially bust out entirely through those same health problems. However, he represents a notable buy-low option for teams with unsettled outfield or first base situations, particularly if they can find a way to mitigate his health issues.

Will he become a free agent?

I lean towards yes, though it’s not an easy decision. The Giants like to stockpile depth (such as their quick signings of Ka’ai Tom and John Nogowski after their releases), so it’s entirely possible that they try to do the same to McCarthy. McCarthy would be facing a ton of competition in the minors, however, and he might not find it ideal to stay in the organization, instead trying to branch out to another team while retaining any changes brought about in San Francisco’s system.

57 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t get how this makes any sense.  Between this and Ellis, those were 2 intriguing arms for the pen making no money and you had plenty of guys to cut (and not a ton to add) before getting rid of them.

Yep those two are really head scratchers, to put it nicely. 

3 hours ago, Explosivo said:

Well Pop didn’t have much success with the Marlins, but you’re right. I just like the Giants and think they have the ability to see great value with players other teams seem to give up on. Time will tell of course.

So I have to call you out on this! Pop finished with a 4.12 ERA despite jumping from AA. He had an 8.59 in April and 6.57 in June. That includes a .96 ERA in May. After June 27th he gave up 8 earned runs the rest of the way with a mid 3 ERA. And had nearly a K per inning. I’m betting thats better than most if not all of our 2021 relief pitchers. Exposing Pop is definitely a mistake hands down.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

Yep those two are really head scratchers, to put it nicely. 

Ellis only pitched 25 innings and had a 5.23 FIP, but he also had a 2.49 ERA and 1.224 WHIP. Long term Ellis probably regresses but maybe he doesn’t.

Ellis was one of the few Orioles pitchers that was effective and I would have liked to seen him back in 2022.