Kiley McDaniel’s FA contract predictions

Sports Guy

On 11/8/2021 at 10:32 AM, Sports Guy said:

16. Eduardo Rodriguez, LHP

2022 Opening Day age: 29
Projected contract: 3 years, $51 million (17 AAV)

Rodriguez has been a consistently good third-starter type, even if his outcomes this year were worse than normal because of a .363 BABIP -- his career mark is .311. He missed 2020 thanks to myocarditis tied to COVID-19 but appears totally back to his normal on-field self. I would expect a three- or four-year deal for $45-65 million.

8. Marcus Stroman, RHP

2022 Opening Day age: 30
Projected contract: 3 years, $48 million (16 AAV)

Stroman took the QO last year, so he won't have that attached to him this winter. He continues to be a solid mid-rotation starter, a sinker/slider, ground-ball type who has been pretty durable. That's not the sexiest type of pitcher, but almost every team needs reliable innings, and Stroman is still sitting at 92.9 mph, so he won't fall into the Zack Greinke/Dallas Keuchel/Julio Teheran type who eats innings in the regular season, then is mostly a nonfactor in the playoffs.

I really want Stroman.  For three years, 48M, that's a steal. 

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Eduardo Rodriguez gets 5 years from Detroit.

77M

Apparently some are saying 80M..but right in that 77-80 range.

That’s a good deal for the Tigers. Exciting for them in that they are going for it now. 

Just seeing the opt out after 2 years. I don’t like that for Detroit. 

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

That’s a good deal for the Tigers. Exciting for them in that they are going for it now. 

Just seeing the opt out after 2 years. I don’t like that for Detroit. 

I do.  I love opt outs.  

That being said, I would rather see it after 3 years than 2 for this deal but still, no issues at all there.

1 hour ago, Yardball85 said:

Would you give Stroman five years?

I always hesitate to give a pitcher 5 years but in some cases I think you just have to do it.  I would do it here.

This contract may mean the Os have to give him 6 years though.  But maybe not since he will get more per year.

35 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I always hesitate to give a pitcher 5 years but in some cases I think you just have to do it.  I would do it here.

This contract may mean the Os have to give him 6 years though.  But maybe not since he will get more per year.

Agreed with you and Frobby, and I would too.  As I have said before, the rotation will not be comprised of five home grown players, and when a good, still relatively young (30 at start of season) free agent becomes available, the team should fully explore that option.  

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I do.  I love opt outs.  

That being said, I would rather see it after 3 years than 2 for this deal but still, no issues at all there.

The key is not to get suckered into an unwise extension to avoid having the player opt out.    The history of those extensions is abysmal, from ARod to Strasburg.