Strom to D’backs. Where was Elias?

Moose Milligan

4 minutes ago, owknows said:

Agree on both counts.

I guess I'm behaving a little defensively because you caught me at the precise moment that I was explaining to Moose.. that I'm not as obnoxious as I may appear when going for a cheap laugh.

I'm as completely obnoxious as I appear when going for a cheap laugh.

22 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

Elias really has the easiest job in sports.

Step 1: Draft prospects

Step 2: Get a couple Rule 5 guys

Step 3: In February, offer Spring Training Invites to anyone that's still unemployed

Step 4: Claim anyone that Tampa Bay puts on waivers

That's all. 

You missed a step:  2a: Let things percolate

On 11/13/2021 at 5:28 PM, owknows said:

Agree on both counts.

I guess I'm behaving a little defensively because you caught me at the precise moment that I was explaining to Moose.. that I'm not as obnoxious as I may appear when going for a cheap laugh.

It pains me to say it, but CoC was right.  A lot of guys regressed.  IIRC, pretty much everyone did to a certain degree.  Even though it was just a couple months ago, I can't remember who finished strong, Akin or Lowther or maybe both.  But that doesn't erase how ****ing awful they were earlier.  Kremer was terrible.

I agree with your take that Holt had limited resources and I will admit that while I'm not high on any of those guys (or practically anyone who was on the mound for the Orioles this year not named Means or Wells)...those guys are professional and regarded by some to be contributors.  I'm not ignorant of that.  

IMO, it would be unrealistic for all of those guys to be able to step up and improve, you're gonna have duds no matter who the coach is.  But I think we were all surprised that they all **** the bed in the manner they did.  Some of that has to fall on Holt's shoulders, especially when you're the director of pitching for the entire organization.

• Like 2

Strom certainly has been a quality coach for a long time. And the criticism on Holt is fair. He appeared to be in over his head this year. Brocail was solid, certainly. Not sure why they needed to make a change, but when the second pitching coach is called a much better communicator, good grief. 

I do not know why the Orioles needed to move Chris Holt to the pitching coach slot. Perhaps they wanted to keep him from leaving. At the moment, the jury is still out for me. Was he a gimmick guy, who simply extolled the virtues of the sticky stuff and turned some average guys into solid performers? Taught a change up to Means? If the young guys do not take steps forward in 2022, Elias will have to address that position. I know he is loyal to his guy, but Baltimore pitchforks are sharp and quick.