Strom to D’backs. Where was Elias?

Moose Milligan

Strom, 73, had served as the Houston Astros' pitching coach since 2014 before saying he was leaving the team following its World Series run last season.

He told the Chronicle that he wanted to "start new again" in Arizona.

"I was home for, like, two or three days and got the itch again," Strom said. "People that have been in baseball a long time really never lose that feel. When the Diamondbacks did call, it was exciting."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32614373/arizona-diamondbacks-coming-nl-worst-era-2021-hiring-brent-strom-pitching-coach-sources-confirm?platform=amp

Soooo…the Diamondbacks are forward thinking enough to reach out and call him while Elias, who has to have had some inroads with the Houston connection, did nothing?

Granted, we don’t know for sure if Elias did nothing, but I’ve gotta assume we’d be more attractive than Arizona with G-Rod, Hall and AR.

Instead….Holt.  Exciting.  What a wizard that guy is.

• Upvote 1

Hard to judge coaches. Why do we want one guy over another? What do our guys need?

and so on

Holt was called a genius at one point. And then our guys were awful this season.

It takes a lot to be a good teacher and we can’t be sure where a problem lies, so we can’t know whether this or that guy is the best for the job.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32614373/arizona-diamondbacks-coming-nl-worst-era-2021-hiring-brent-strom-pitching-coach-sources-confirm?platform=amp

Soooo…the Diamondbacks are forward thinking enough to reach out and call him while Elias, who has to have had some inroads with the Houston connection, did nothing?

Granted, we don’t know for sure if Elias did nothing, but I’ve gotta assume we’d be more attractive than Arizona with G-Rod, Hall and AR.

Instead….Holt.  Exciting.  What a wizard that guy is.

What makes you think Elias was interested in this guy? Or should have been interested in this guy? Why is hiring a 70 year old pitching coach forward thinking? 

2 minutes ago, owknows said:

Are you suggesting I favored the firing of Brocail?

Not sure how this is relevant?

It isn't about you at all.

Not sure why you would go there.

You were talking about what Holt had to work with in 2021.  I asked how you thought it compared with what Brocail had to work with in 2020.

I think that, for whatever reason, a number of pitchers regressed in 2021.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

It isn't about you at all.

Not sure why you would go there.

You were talking about what Holt had to work with in 2021.  I asked how you thought it compared with what Brocail had to work with in 2020.

I think that, for whatever reason, a number of pitchers regressed in 2021.

Agree on both counts.

I guess I'm behaving a little defensively because you caught me at the precise moment that I was explaining to Moose.. that I'm not as obnoxious as I may appear when going for a cheap laugh.