I'm already over this offseason.

Moose Milligan

21 minutes ago, owknows said:

I'm saying this one probably would.

And I'm not sure that any 4/44 guy is going to make the difference between us and the playoffs next season.

So hold the money until it will

It's not about making the playoffs next season, although it'd be awesome if we somehow did.  You are right, no 4/44 guy is going to make the difference between us and the playoffs next year.

It's about not ****ing around and getting better whenever/wherever you can.  Matz or Ed-Rod would have been an upgrade for us.  

• Upvote 1

I feel that under the rules of the last few years, the "okay for 150 IP" Matz-type pitcher only has 162-value for rosters scraping to qualify for the postseason.

That's what Adley's first wildcard chase will be, and I imagine we'll hire somebody like Matz whether it is '23 or '24, but it isn't the kind of player where pre-booking years in advance feels like an urgent priority.   We get to find out if Drew Rom is better than Steven Matz's future offseason counterpart in the next 12-24 months, and if Clubs continue to be able to net better performance 40-70 pitches at a time from the Bradish/DL Hall type guys.

I am hopeful by peak Adley teams we'll have a few years of caring as little for these fair-to-middlin starting pitchers as today's best teams do.

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's not about making the playoffs next season, although it'd be awesome if we somehow did.  You are right, no 4/44 guy is going to make the difference between us and the playoffs next year.

It's about not ****ing around and getting better whenever/wherever you can.  Matz or Ed-Rod would have been an upgrade for us.  

Another thing that continues to amaze me…that people are fine with an embarrassment of a product being on the field and that they don’t think there’s value to having a watchable product.  I just don’t get it.

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or they are trying to get guys locked up before the rules break in favor of the players.

I don’t think the rules are going to affect free agent salaries much.   Eligibility for free agency and arbitration may change. But of course, we really don’t have much idea of how it will all shake out.  

Just now, Frobby said:

I don’t think the rules are going to affect free agent salaries much.   Eligibility for free agency and arbitration may change. But of course, we really don’t have much idea of how it will all shake out.  

I think that players will be getting to free agency at an earlier age and that will lead to an increase in deals.

The same player hitting free agency at 28 could get a much larger deal than the same player at 30.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think that players will be getting to free agency at an earlier age and that will lead to an increase in deals.

The same player hitting free agency at 28 could get a much larger deal than the same player at 30.

I agree with that.   But that possibility doesn’t help Steven Matz get a bigger contract now.   It might help Wander Franco.   

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s amazing that people get excited for this and make it seem like it’s a real opportunity to acquire talent.  

I will give credit when credit is due, they got it right with the Tyler Wells selection last year.  But out of all the Rule 5 picks they've made, landing on one is the proverbial blind squirrel finding a nut.  

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Another thing that continues to amaze me…that people are fine with an embarrassment of a product being on the field and that they don’t think there’s value to having a watchable product.  I just don’t get it.

Well it hasn't been watchable, and you're correct..the product should be watchable.  Seeing a guy like Matz/Ed-Rod get starts over a guy like Kremer makes this team more watchable.

This is the wrong audience though, everyone on this board will be tuning in no matter what.  But for the average fan, they need to find a way to maintain their attention.  

The refusal to get better whenever, wherever they can is off-putting.  And those who have disagreed with me, saying this offseason is just getting underway, that's fine, there's still time to turn it around.  I don't disagree with that.  I'm just saying that for every offseason since I can remember, the Orioles have never been out front making moves and that hasn't changed here.  

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I wish it made sense to extend Trey, but it doesn’t.   Hoping he has a great year, though, and I think there’s a good chance of that with a normal offseason to rest up.   

Agreed. As great a person and teammate Mancini is, he really doesn't make a ton of sense for this team, particularly with Mountcastle needing to play 1B. My hope is he comes back, has a big first half, and the orioles can get him to a playoff contender at the trading deadline and get a decent return for him. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I will give credit when credit is due, they got it right with the Tyler Wells selection last year.  But out of all the Rule 5 picks they've made, landing on one is the proverbial blind squirrel finding a nut.  

Well it hasn't been watchable, and you're correct..the product should be watchable.  Seeing a guy like Matz/Ed-Rod get starts over a guy like Kremer makes this team more watchable.

This is the wrong audience though, everyone on this board will be tuning in no matter what.  But for the average fan, they need to find a way to maintain their attention.  

The refusal to get better whenever, wherever they can is off-putting.  And those who have disagreed with me, saying this offseason is just getting underway, that's fine, there's still time to turn it around.  I don't disagree with that.  I'm just saying that for every offseason since I can remember, the Orioles have never been out front making moves and that hasn't changed here.  

Well, you and Sports Guy have a different opinion on what the Orioles should be doing this offseason then many of us and clearly what the Orioles are going to do.

That doesn't make you wrong, it means we have a different opinion.

I do want the Orioles to start getting better next season and don't want to see any Matt Harvey type moves or bringing up guys from AAA that are not legitimate major league league players. 

But here's where I see us right now. This is the first year where wins and development at the major league level matter. Rutschman will be here. Rodriguez should not be too far behind.

They were an awful team next year and signing a couple guys is not going to change that. When we're closer, then its time to add talent.

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There is value in having a watchable product, of course.  But is that value worth losing a 1/3rd of our draft budget allotment?  That I just don't know.   Having a somewhat better,  but still losing team,  to me really doesn't justify these kind of contracts.   I'd rather have the payroll and roster flexibility to add when we are ready to compete, not just to get slightly more respectable.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Here’s the thing..you know they aren’t doing anything.  You know why?  Because Elias is telling us they aren’t.  He’s telling the fan base to really lower our expectations.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Well, you and Sports Guy have a different opinion on what the Orioles should be doing this offseason then many of us and clearly what the Orioles are going to do.

That doesn't make you wrong, it means we have a different opinion.

I do want the Orioles to start getting better next season and don't want to see any Matt Harvey type moves or bringing up guys from AAA that are not legitimate major league league players. 

But here's where I see us right now. This is the first year where wins and development at the major league level matter. Rutschman will be here. Rodriguez should not be too far behind.

They were an awful team next year and signing a couple guys is not going to change that. When we're closer, then its time to add talent.

Hey and if they don't ever get close they never have to spend.