Orioles signing Rougned Odor

Yardball85

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

Gutierrez has much better D, and has the same WRC 82, Mateo and Urias have better Offense,  and Urias is a far better overall player. Odor can’t be a utility guy and he doesn’t hit better than anyone he would be supplanting.

Its not an expensive mistake but it is a useless counterproductive move that takes a spot better used by someone better.

Remember rule 1: don’t get someone unless they are better than what you already have, and he isn’t, by any stretch of the imagination.

Well what does the rest of MLB think?  We claimed Mateo, Urias, and Guiterrez off waivers. Why did the Yankees trade for Odor?

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

Gutierrez has much better D, and has the same WRC 82, Mateo and Urias have better Offense,  and Urias is a far better overall player. Odor can’t be a utility guy and he doesn’t hit better than anyone he would be supplanting.

Its not an expensive mistake but it is a useless counterproductive move that takes a spot better used by someone better.

Remember rule 1: don’t get someone unless they are better than what you already have, and he isn’t, by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't think Mike is sold on Gutierrez or Mateo as every day players. It is good to have another option besides Martin. I'm not excited about this signing but it is nothing to be upset about. On the scale of negative 100 (Chris Davis) to 100 (Acuna) this is a zero, a nothing signing. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't think Mike is sold on Gutierrez or Mateo as every day players. It is good to have another option besides Martin. I'm not excited about this signing but it is nothing to be upset about. On the scale of negative 100 (Chris Davis) to 100 (Acuna) this is a zero, a nothing signing. 

That’s part of the problem.  Its likely nothing at best…so why do it? How about signing or trading for good players?

3 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

He's a lousy player.  Nobody else wants him.  In other words, he's the perfect Orioles signing.    Signing him sends a message to our fans:  "We intend to suck again in 2022".

That's the issue most of us have with signing Odor. It's not the player, but it's a sign the Orioles aren't going to try and improve next year. Yes players like Adley Rutschman will help, but that can only move the needle so much. 

I'm not expecting the Orioles to contend for the playoffs in 2022, but if the goal is to compete in 2023 then this offseason we should start seeing moves to get ready. Like getting a couple quality infielders to play at 2B/SS/3B and a couple of quality pitchers.

If none of these moves happen then it's likely Elias has to accrue all this talent next offseason to compete in 2023. That is unless some of the players In the organization surprise us next year. It might end up turning into wait until 2024 to watch a good team. 

48 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well what does the rest of MLB think?  We claimed Mateo, Urias, and Guiterrez off waivers. Why did the Yankees trade for Odor?

The Yankees are not much smarter than the Rangers, they’re just much much richer.

My point remains valid, you can compare the stats of the guys you mentioned for yourself, and see which guy you’d rather have on your team. If you prefer Odor to Urias, then pop a cork, your dream has come true.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Unfortunately that’s not true, because you’re signing a guy to 40 man spot and paying him league minimum, instead of saving that spot and that league minimum money for someone better, And as first in line in the waiver wire, it is impossible that someone better will not come along.

It’s not a major problem, the larger problem is that this shows an extreme lack of judgment. I’ve mentioned a couple of times that rule number one is you don’t get somebody unless they’re better than what you already have, and he is clearly not.

Sports Guy was screaming about Gutierrez’s bat, and he and Odor have the same 82WRC, but Gutierrez at least has excellent defense. No, Odor offers nothing and takes a spot better saved for almost anyone else.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I may not be a smart man, but if Acuña is a 100, Chris Davis is far, far less than -100.

“Going back to the start of the 2018 campaign, Odor owns a .216/.291/.418 line. That’s come with worse than average strikeout and walk rates (27.8% and 7.9%, respectively), sapping much of his overall value. The Yankees acquired Odor from Texas this past spring, hoping that a move to the Bronx would reinvigorate his lefty bat.

While Odor did hit 15 homers in 361 plate appearances in pinstripes, he managed just a .202/.286/.379 line altogether.

Odor is still just 27 years old (28 in February). He’s young enough that teams can continue to hold out hope he may yet find his stride offensively, but it’s been quite some time since he was a capable everyday player.“

Friends, that means he sucks, and has sucked for a loooong time.

Signing him is stupid and everybody knows it except for Roch and his masters.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Not sure I understand this at all. So I guess Urias goes back to utility for the 2022 version of Maikol Franco? This seems like a deal you make last offseason. 

Call me confused.

I'm ok with this deal. It's nothing. middle infield depth with a little pop and probably cheap.

What's different in 2022 from 2021? Besides the CBA expiring, absolutely nothing. Last season we were hoping to make some organizational progress, and we didn't. Every minor league starter we brought up sucked. Period.

If Elias thinks the time is not right yet, then I trust him. Does everyone want us to go off half-cocked and spend a half a BILLION dollars like the Rangers?

1 hour ago, scOtt said:

I'm ok with this deal. It's nothing. middle infield depth with a little pop and probably cheap.

What's different in 2022 from 2021? Besides the CBA expiring, absolutely nothing. Last season we were hoping to make some organizational progress, and we didn't. Every minor league starter we brought up sucked. Period.

If Elias thinks the time is not right yet, then I trust him. Does everyone want us to go off half-cocked and spend a half a BILLION dollars like the Rangers?

They will be using up an Adley season.