MLB Lockout Thread

Can_of_corn

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Exactly, if he doesn't finish in the top 5 what are the odds the O's are going to want to around in year seven?

I don't know, what's the percentage of very good or great players who finish top five in ROY?  Mussina, Bedard, Markakis, Roberts, Machado, Britton... none of them did.  Bonds finished 6th.  Beltre and Utley got no votes.  Abreu zero votes.  Vlad finished 6th. Miguel Tejada, no votes. Johnny Damon, Jim Thome, zero.  Jim Edmonds finished 8th.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't know, what's the percentage of very good or great players who finish top five in ROY?  Mussina, Bedard, Markakis, Roberts, Machado, Britton... none of them did.  Bonds finished 6th.  Beltre and Utley got no votes.  Abreu zero votes.  Vlad finished 6th. Miguel Tejada, no votes. Johnny Damon, Jim Thome, zero.  Jim Edmonds finished 8th.

Some of those players didn't get ROY votes because they only played partial seasons in their rookie seasons. Mussina pitched 89 innings in his rookie season. In his first full season he finished 4th in the Cy Young race and certainly would have been top-5 in ROY. Same deal with Machado.

2 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

My wife is a life long pirates fan, and the two teams haven't played in some years.  The last time they did we were not able to even watch the games.

I have in laws who are Cubs fans and there is a rivalry there as well. 

I could give a hoot about game #18 or 19 against the Yankees, but these other series I will pay attention to.

Anecdotally, I think you would find people on either side of the coin.  The unbalanced schedule was trash.  It was time to move on.

I enjoy traveling to new stadiums to see the Orioles play on the road. This means I will have the option of seeing the Orioles play a road game in a given National League stadium once every two years instead of once every six years, so I am for it.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd hate to lose games 15-17 against the Jays.

I'd rather go up against better teams in our division to see what we're made out of rather than fooling ourselves into thinking we're actually halfway decent because we took 5 out of 6 against the Pirates and Cubs.

As I mentioned, there's now no need for the American League and National League anymore with this schedule.  Split it into MLB East and MLB West, the top 6 teams from each division make the playoffs in some kind of ridiculous tournament style.  

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd rather go up against better teams in our division to see what we're made out of rather than fooling ourselves into thinking we're actually halfway decent because we took 5 out of 6 against the Pirates and Cubs.

As I mentioned, there's now no need for the American League and National League anymore with this schedule.  Split it into MLB East and MLB West, the top 6 teams from each division make the playoffs in some kind of ridiculous tournament style.  

I don't want to avoid the Jays because I'm worried about losing to them I just get tired of seeing the same four teams over and over.

And yes, going to an East coast/West coast thing makes a lot of sense.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't want to avoid the Jays because I'm worried about losing to them I just get tired of seeing the same four teams over and over.

And yes, going to an East coast/West coast thing makes a lot of sense.

Fair enough.  I kinda get that too but I'd rather see Vlad Jr a bunch of times rather than play random teams I've got no interest in seeing. 

4 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Im more upset the are removing the runner on 2nd in extra innings rule than the schedule change, which is fine. 15 inning games in the modern era of max effort bullpens just doesn't work the way it did 30 years ago. 

I'm not upset about that.  In regards to the 15 inning thing, well...better make sure it doesn't get that deep into the game.

13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why should they get paid?  They won't be doing their job.

Are you joking? They absolutely should be paid. They are not choosing not to work. they are being told they will not be allowed to work in that country to the North.

I don't want to turn this into a vaccine conversation, but if you want to work and someone tells you that you can't, you should still get paid. What's next? Individual cities determining what constitutes the ability work? Maybe Seattle decides if you haven't been vaccinated against ringworm you can't play? Will MLB allow that?

If it's legal to play in MLB without the vaccines, MLB should stand up and just say then MLB will not be played in those cities/countries that ban players from performing. 

Personally, i thought watching games in the Buffalo park was 100 times better than watching in that awful sky dome.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, seak05 said:

Many countries have vaccination requirements to enter. Other countries have the right to make their own laws. 

They absolutely do. But MLB should ensure that their players are allowed to play. As long as it's not mandated by MLB to have a vaccnine to play, MLB should ensure that baseball is only played in cities/countries that allow their players to perform.

The Blue Jays should just be moved to Buffalo and end all these shenanigans with that country to our North.

• Confused 1

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Are you joking? They absolutely should be paid. They are not choosing not to work. they are being told they will not be allowed to work in that country to the North.

I don't want to turn this into a vaccine conversation, but if you want to work and someone tells you that you can't, you should still get paid. What's next? Individual cities determining what constitutes the ability work? Maybe Seattle decides if you haven't been vaccinated against ringworm you can't play? Will MLB allow that?

If it's legal to play in MLB without the vaccines, MLB should stand up and just say then MLB will not be played in those cities/countries that ban players from performing. 

Personally, i thought watching games in the Buffalo park was 100 times better than watching in that awful sky dome.  

Your company requires you to work in another country.  You choose to not qualify yourself to work in that country.  That is your choice.   The company should not be required to pay you for work you choose to make yourself ineligible for.

Having the right to make a decision does not exclude you from the consequences of that choice.

If the player chose not to get a passport for whatever reason and therefor couldn't play in Canada do you think he should still get paid?

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I can’t stand it either. I think like most things, it started off with good intentions and it was fun in the late 90s when it started. But now it’s awful. 

I have no interest in watching us play the Reds, Pirates, Brewers, Cubs, Mets…if they’re going this route, I agree to just have it like the NBA. An eastern conference and a western conference and the top select few teams make it. 

With this bull**** they just did away with the need for American and National leagues. 

Now that their is Universal DH, i have no issues at all with it. Less games against the same old opponents is a good thing to me. I much rather watch the Orioles take on those teams then watch more games in the awful Tamps dome and Skydome (blech) and less games against big market teams can only help the Orioles. It should have always been a balanced schedule once wild cards came into play.

6 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

I know it was an inevitability, but the purist in me bristles about them agreeing to allow advertising patches and decals on MLB uniforms and helmets. 

I'm not a fan of this at all either. You can't tell me MLB doesn't have enough revenue streams that it needs to go to this. It's honestly embarrassing and makes them look like a lesser league. 

Will it destroy the game, no, but count me as someone that thinks advertising on uniforms is so low brow.