MLB Lockout Thread

Can_of_corn

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I can’t stand interleague play. 

However, I have always said, you either get rid of it or balance it and have everyone play everyone.

While I think this is the worst choice, I do feel it’s a better choice than what we currently have.

I can’t stand it either. I think like most things, it started off with good intentions and it was fun in the late 90s when it started. But now it’s awful. 

I have no interest in watching us play the Reds, Pirates, Brewers, Cubs, Mets…if they’re going this route, I agree to just have it like the NBA. An eastern conference and a western conference and the top select few teams make it. 

With this bull**** they just did away with the need for American and National leagues. 

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I can’t stand it either. I think like most things, it started off with good intentions and it was fun in the late 90s when it started. But now it’s awful. 

I have no interest in watching us play the Reds, Pirates, Brewers, Cubs, Mets…if they’re going this route, I agree to just have it like the NBA. An eastern conference and a western conference and the top select few teams make it. 

With this bull**** they just did away with the need for American and National leagues. 

My wife is a life long pirates fan, and the two teams haven't played in some years.  The last time they did we were not able to even watch the games.

I have in laws who are Cubs fans and there is a rivalry there as well. 

I could give a hoot about game #18 or 19 against the Yankees, but these other series I will pay attention to.

Anecdotally, I think you would find people on either side of the coin.  The unbalanced schedule was trash.  It was time to move on.

• Upvote 1

On the five options per year part, I haven't seen how many players experienced more than that yet, but anecdotally this morning read that the Rays optioned Louis Head 12 times in 2021.

On the year Head pitched 35 innings to a 2.31 ERA, perhaps half a "good Brad Brach" season.   Except that with rest and deployment the Rays have gotten really good at scraping that performance out of almost anyone, even a 31-year old former 18th round pick making his big-league debut.

I have to say, it will be so nice to not see the same teams for almost half the year.  It’s so boring.  I will give MLB credit for that.  It should make fans more interested.

I guess once they got rid of the pitcher batting, they felt they could just open it up like this.

• Upvote 2

On the 2023 and on schedule, an early guess is we'll end up with 12-13 games against the other four in-division teams, should divisions be kept.

Assuming mostly three game series:

First 29 against everyone is 87.   Next 14 to complete home and home with all AL teams another 42 for 129.

Double home and home vs. Yanks/Red Sox/Blue Jays/Rays would be 8 extra series/24 extra games and 153.   I guess by design 8 of the 16 in-division series could be 4-gamers to make 161.    And heck, let the Orioles-Nats and 14 other pairs of "natural rivals" like the Rockies and Rangers have four every year for 162.

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m curious how the ROY and MVP/CY voters will be influenced by knowing their decisions have a real world consequence.   It would affect me, for sure, if I thought a team had hosed a player who on his rate stats was better than someone who was up longer, but who’d been held back.   For example, last year I’d have been much more likely to vote for Franco as ROY.

I'm curious how teams will be influence.  Will the extra pick be nice, sure.  But will the extra year for a ROY/CY/MVP caliber player be even more valuable.  In my opinion, of course.  Shouldn't change the calculus.

Also, what qualifies as "top prospect"?  Top 100 on MLB?  Top 10 on your own team?  Anyone seen more info?

2 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

I'm curious how teams will be influence.  Will the extra pick be nice, sure.  But will the extra year for a ROY/CY/MVP caliber player be even more valuable.  In my opinion, of course.  Shouldn't change the calculus.

Also, what qualifies as "top prospect"?  Top 100 on MLB?  Top 10 on your own team?  Anyone seen more info?

We've seen ROY caliber players not even be in the league in six years.

I would have rather they just fix the issue but this will at least lead to interesting decisions by teams.

13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd rather do without divisions if we are being honest. 

I'd just do an eastern and western for travel and be done with it.

Top 6 teams in each make the playoffs.

My guess is all the National League teams wanted yearly games against the Yankees and Red Sox.

One 30-team table, top 12 make the playoffs.

Or two 16-team leagues with no interleague, aligned geographically East and West.

14 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

I know its minor in the grand scheme of things, but is anyone else bothered by the fact that player uniforms will feature advertising for the first time, with patches on jerseys and decals on batting helmets?   Is nothing sacrosanct?   

Don't really care at all. There's already advertising everywhere else.

If the trade had been commercial breaks half as long in exchange for ads on uniforms I'd take the ads in a second. 

• Upvote 1