MLB Lockout Thread

Can_of_corn

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Now that their is Universal DH, i have no issues at all with it. Less games against the same old opponents is a good thing to me. I much rather watch the Orioles take on those teams then watch more games in the awful Tamps dome and Skydome (blech) and less games against big market teams can only help the Orioles. It should have always been a balanced schedule once wild cards came into play.

Well that's true, the universal DH makes it slightly more palatable.  I really don't feel the need to see Lowther pick up a bat.  Or any pitcher for that matter, really.  

And yes, less games against the Yanks and Sox is good for us to a certain extent.  

34 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:
  1.  But it has made it a requirement, by having games in Canada.
  2. Yep
  3. Hopefully when folks all get vaccinated
  4. They don't have to.  The players are required to be eligible to play in the other cities.
  5. To me being able to do your job should be a requirement to get paid for doing your job.  If you purposefully make yourself ineligible to work you should not get paid.
  6. If someone has made a sincere attempt to get vaccinated and for some reason could not, I agree they should get paid.  If someone makes no attempt to get a passport I do not think he should get paid. 

The scariest thing in your post is saying yep to #2. It boggles my mind that people actually think that some local politicians in some city you don't live in should decide what you have to put in your body in order for to get paid to work.

Let's just move on. We really have nothing more to discuss on this situation.

45 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

I was hoping this changed the dynamic on when the Orioles call up Rutschman.  After reading the quote from a "long-time small market executive," I'm having doubts much will change.

It will be interesting to see how it shakes out, but I think Rutschman starts on opening day for the Orioles for several reasons.

He's the #1 prospect in baseball and has already performed well in AAA. He's 24-years old and a catcher which means he won't be eligible for free agency until he'll be playing in 31 old season and for a catcher, that could be very, very old. 

Also, there is no legitimate option to be the starting catcher on the roster so even if the Orioles tried one of those Mountcastle starts to gain an extra year, it just really doesn't make sense in this situation. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Some friends of mine have started talking to me about doing a few cities a year. I've honestly only been to Nats, Colorado, and Pittsburgh for games when it comes to current stadiums. 

Old Yankee, Fenway, Kaufmann and I saw the Rochester Redwings play the Denver Zephyrs at MIle HIgh Stadium when Ben McDonald in AAA.  Lots of games in KC since I was stationed nearby.  Have never been to a NL park tho.

9 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Old Yankee, Fenway, Kaufmann and I saw the Rochester Redwings play the Denver Zephyrs at MIle HIgh Stadium when Ben McDonald in AAA.  Lots of games in KC since I was stationed nearby.  Have never been to a NL park tho.

Yeah, most of mine were seen while I was in the Army. I saw some different minor league stadiums as well. Fayetteville, Durham, El Paso, Lancaster along with Atlanta Fulton, Miami (Old Joe Robby Stadium), Old Cominsky (upper deck with some small seats) for old major league stadiums!

I'll join the fun.   I've seen MLB games in these major league ballparks:

Memorial Stadium
Oriole Park at Camden Yards
Fenway Park
Citi Field
Yankee Stadium (the 1974-20?? version)
Veterans Stadium
Citizens Bank Park
RFK Stadium
Nationals Park
Atlanta's last stadium that just closed a few years ago, the one built for the 1996 Olympics (Turner Field?)
Tropicana Dome
Three Rivers Stadium
PNC Park
Cleveland Municipal Stadium
Jacobs Field (or whatever Cleveland's stadium is called now)
Riverfront Stadium
Cincinnati's new Stadium
Tiger Stadium
New Comiskey
Wrigley
Old Busch Stadium

I have attended college football games at the following past or present MLB parks but have never seen baseball there:
New Yankee Stadium
Atlanta Fulton County Stadium
The stadium where the Dolphins play and the Orange Bowl is held which was home to the Marlins for a few years

I've seen minor league or major league spring training baseball in:
Bowie
Frederick
Hagerstown
Harrisburg
Salem VA
Richmond
Tampa
Clearwater
Dunedin
St Petersburg FL
Sarasota
Bradenton
Port Charlotte
Fort Myers (Twins ballpark, not the Red Sox one)
Plant City FL

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Memorial Stadium
Fenway Park
Citi Field
Veterans Stadium
Citizens Bank Park
RFK Stadium
Nationals Park
Atlanta's last stadium that just closed a few years ago, the one built for the 1996 Olympics (Turner Field?)
Tropicana Dome
Three Rivers Stadium
PNC Park
Riverfront Stadium
Cincinnati's new Stadium
Tiger Stadium
New Comiskey
Wrigley
Old Busch Stadium

I have attended college football games at the following past or present MLB parks but have never seen baseball there:
New Yankee Stadium
The stadium where the Dolphins play and the Orange Bowl is held which was home to the Marlins for a few years

Bowie
Frederick
Hagerstown
Harrisburg
Salem VA
Richmond
Tampa
Clearwater
Dunedin
St Petersburg FL
Sarasota
Bradenton
Port Charlotte
Plant City FL

What is  your favorite ball park?

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

What is  your favorite ball park?

For sentimental reasons, Memorial Stadium.

But I really loved Tiger Stadium.   Went to 2 or 3 games there.   Loved how the upper deck was so close to the field (of course the people in the lower deck paid for it with obstructing columns).

Excluding OPACY, I like PNC Park best of all the new generation of ballparks.

The US has a whole host of requirements for entry. MLB players from other countries are required to meet them even if they aren’t required by MLB baseball. MLB requirements don’t supersede international sovereignty. 

Oh and fun fact if you aren’t a US citizen (or permanent resident/immigrant)…you have to be vaccinated to enter the US. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Some of those players didn't get ROY votes because they only played partial seasons in their rookie seasons. Mussina pitched 89 innings in his rookie season. In his first full season he finished 4th in the Cy Young race and certainly would have been top-5 in ROY. Same deal with Machado.

So... Rutschman is guaranteed to play like 130-150 games this year?

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Memorial Stadium
Fenway Park
Citi Field
Veterans Stadium
Citizens Bank Park
RFK Stadium
Nationals Park
Tropicana Dome
Three Rivers Stadium
PNC Park
Riverfront Stadium
Cincinnati's new Stadium
Tiger Stadium
New Comiskey
Wrigley
Old Busch Stadium

New Yankee Stadium

Bowie
Frederick
Hagerstown
Harrisburg
Salem VA
Richmond
Tampa
Clearwater
Dunedin
St Petersburg FL
Sarasota
Bradenton
Port Charlotte
Plant City FL

I will join in as well:

Besides both O’s stadiums I have seen games in DC, Toronto, Boston, Pittsburgh, Philly, Tampa, Miami, Cleveland, Detroit, Houston, San Diego, Anaheim, Seattle, and St. Louis.

Edited by CynBeth
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

For sentimental reasons, Memorial Stadium.

But I really loved Tiger Stadium.   Went to 2 or 3 games there.   Loved how the upper deck was so close to the field (of course the people in the lower deck paid for it with obstructing columns).

Excluding OPACY, I like PNC Park best of all the new generation of ballparks.

PNC Park is really nice. This isn't a shot at OPACY, but I liked watching games more at Memorial Stadium even considering the huge upgrade OPACY provided for the fan experience. 

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Memorial Stadium
Oriole Park at Camden Yards...

Oh, you guys had to start this, didn't you?  Now I have to recreate my list.  I used to have one somewhere that included all high-level sports and it was approaching 100 stadiums.

For baseball... Memorial, OPACY, old Yankee, The Vet, Riverfront, RFK, Tropicana, The Big A, PETCO, Dodger, Kaufmann, Tiger, Skydome, Exhibition, Stade Olympique, Jacobs Field, Wrigley.  Had tickets to Fenway but was rained out when we were standing outside.  Been inside the current San Francisco park during a non-game day.

Minors/Summer League/spring, etc: PG County, Grove, the weird park the Aberdeen indy league team played in 25 years ago, Salem (VA) Municipal Field, Pirates' spring park, Orioles old spring park in Ft. Lauderdale, Oneonta NY, Pilot Field (Buffalo), Thunder Bay Ontario, Midway (St. Paul - we had Bill Murray's seats), Anchorage AK summer league, Foothills Stadium (Calgary, Alberta - saw Eddie on a rehab assignment when he was 41), Harbor Park, The Diamond (Richmond), Wilmington DE, Altoona Rail Kings park, Harrisburg Senators park, Binghamton Mets, Canton-Akron Indians, Regency Furniture Park. Rained out of a game at Bowen Field, Bluefield.  The Field of Dreams, but nobody was playing.  Doubleday Field, just to walk around.  English Field (Virginia Tech).

Football: Lane Stadium, RFK, The Vet, Scott Stadium, Williams-Brice (South Carolina), BC, Pitt Stadium, Heinz, Superdome, Meadowlands, Orange Bowl, Pro Player/Dolphins, Gator Bowl, Tangerine Bowl, WVU, Rutgers, Skydome (CFL Argos-Tigercats), FedEx, Carrier Dome, Rich Stadium, Kyle Field.  Wherever they played the '97 Music City Bowl in Nashville.  Ficklen Stadium (ECU). 

Soccer: RFK, Audi, Olympiastadion Munich, Allianz Arena Munich, Generali/Alpenbauer Sportpark Unterhaching, Audi Park Ingolstadt, Victoria Road Dagenham/London, FedEx, Maryland Soccer Complex.

Tour of Lord's Cricket Ground, London.  Colosseum, Rome. Cody Nite Rodeo, Calgary Rodeo.  Cassell Coliseum, Verizon Center, Richmond Coliseum, Cap Center, for basketball, and a couple three hockey games. 

That's from memory, probably forgot a few.

• Upvote 1

On 3/10/2022 at 2:03 PM, waroriole said:

So we get a draft pick, but Adley is a FA a year earlier. Not a good trade off. 

A first round comp selection is probably worth around 2-5 wins.  It might be a decent tradeoff.  It's probably best for someone that's major league ready and not a likely all star.  So Adley might be too good for this.

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Sure, just like if they found a way to just advertise in a box around the game for 30-seconds instead of a commercial that would help speed the game up. But they didn't trade anything away, just added more advertising in front of the viewer.

Call me crazy, but I like the uniforms clean with team or city name on front and last name of player on back. Hell, I wasn't even happy with the gigantic Nike swoosh on everything. 

It can definitely be overload. In soccer it's all over the stadium and the uniforms but the only commercial break is halftime.  Baseball it's all over everything and there's a commercial every ten minutes that lasts four minutes.