So, what are we going to talk about now?

Frobby

4 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Pretty sure Davis got into one once that looked like it may have had the trajectory. It got over Eutaw Street then seemed to go straight down on a vertical path once the wind got it.

If guys like Davis, Ortiz, Mo Vaughn, Griffey Jr couldn't do it...and if no one did it in the steroid era, rabbit ball era....I doubt it's happening.  There have been a lot of balls hit out that way in the 29 years the stadium has been in existence....if no one's done it by now, chances are it'll never happen.  

81 games a year, 29 years...2,349 games.  Not counting the small amount of playoff games, exhibition games, etc.  Round it up to 2,400 games played at OPACY.  

That's a lot of baseball.  That's a lot of opportunities for a big time power hitter to get the right launch angle on the right pitch with the right exit velocity to hit the wall.  And right now, the game is tailored for someone to be able to do exactly that and it still hasn't happened.

I'm not saying it CAN'T happen, I'm just doubtful that it will.  Even Griffey Jr's home run derby blast didn't hit up too high on the warehouse.  

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

If guys like Davis, Ortiz, Mo Vaughn, Griffey Jr couldn't do it...and if no one did it in the steroid era, rabbit ball era....I doubt it's happening.  There have been a lot of balls hit out that way in the 29 years the stadium has been in existence....if no one's done it by now, chances are it'll never happen.  

81 games a year, 29 years...2,349 games.  Not counting the small amount of playoff games, exhibition games, etc.  Round it up to 2,400 games played at OPACY.  

That's a lot of baseball.  That's a lot of opportunities for a big time power hitter to get the right launch angle on the right pitch with the right exit velocity to hit the wall.  And right now, the game is tailored for someone to be able to do exactly that and it still hasn't happened.

I'm not saying it CAN'T happen, I'm just doubtful that it will.  Even Griffey Jr's home run derby blast didn't hit up too high on the warehouse.  

I would think that if it was done in batting practice folks would notice and talk about it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would think that if it was done in batting practice folks would notice and talk about it.

Yeah, also a good point.  Only thing I can think in regards to that is that there probably aren't many people out on Eutaw Street during BP to report it.  Maybe someone did during BP and no one was paying attention?  Would be a shame.  

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

People talk about Frank Robinson being the only person to hit the ball out of Memorial Stadium.

Well, I personally saw Bo Jackson do it in batting practice once.   

But no one talks about that.  Except me.

Just now, SteveA said:

People talk about Frank Robinson being the only person to hit the ball out of Memorial Stadium.

Well, I personally saw Bo Jackson do it in batting practice once.   

But no one talks about that.  Except me.

And frankly we are tired of hearing about it.  ?

Just kidding, cool story.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I generally hate the offseason anyway, but now that the CBA has expired and it’s obvious that talks are going to proceed at a snail’s pace, what the heck are we supposed to discuss for the next two months?    I can only say so much about Rougned Odor and Jordan Lyles.   I think those topics will be burned through by the end of today.  And, we won’t have other teams making moves so we can have the reactionary “why didn’t we do that” or “should we claim the player who just got DFA’d” threads.

It’s going to be a looonnnngggg winter…

Yeah, even though I do have opinions on what I would like in the new CBA, and opinions on the two sides and who is more right and who is more wrong, I really have no desire to spend lots of time on a message board discussing them.   It's just too depressing.  I'll probably visit here less and spend more time on the VT board, we just hired a new football coach and have a really fun basketball team that will probably be in the NCAA Tournament again this year.

Maybe Tony can fire up prospects 31-100. 

Man I dunno. It's gonna suck the next couple months. Even a site like MLBTR will suffer with content other than whatever the next inane thing MLB is bringing to the table. 

It's going to be a full month of angry bluster from both sides before they even start to get serious about negotiating. 

But for the travel restrictions, could be a nice time for a DR field trip to try and find the uncommitted January 15 guys.   I can practice growth mindset to adopt the practice of @waynebug by almost making the signing bonus part of the name of our first waves of homegrown IFA's bubbling up to Delmarva.   

I believe moves like the Orioles re-signing Matt Harvey to a minor league deal with ST invite could still happen in December or January.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Is there a good vinyl shop in Baltimore? 

Soundgarden in Lower Fells has been named the best in the country by Rolling Stone. Not the most extensive selection but tons of quality used records and the staff is super knowledgeable. Couple other good spots throughout the city but that’s my place of choice.

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Manfreds email was a steaming pile of ****.

Normally I like it when people back up their comments, especially inflammatory ones such as this. However, with out reading it I can still agree with you completely.

However I am confident the same is also true of Tony Clark’s comments

57 minutes ago, interloper said:

Maybe Tony can fire up prospects 31-100. 

Man I dunno. It's gonna suck the next couple months. Even a site like MLBTR will suffer with content other than whatever the next inane thing MLB is bringing to the table. 

It's going to be a full month of angry bluster from both sides before they even start to get serious about negotiating. 

I don’t mind the angry bluster, but Tony Clark is incompetent. And I mean that literally he’s just not competent To deal with the position he’s in. I don’t think he’s very smart either but you don’t have to be smart to be competent.

Manfred Has an evil agenda. I don’t know what it is but it is not in the best interest of baseball at all not one single decision he ever made was in the best interest of baseball.

I think at the end of this baseball will be negatively changed in an extreme way

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

The field being below ground level in relation to the warehouse has made it all but impossible to hit the warehouse during game action. 

You have to hit the ball not just long enough, but on a high enough of a trajectory to bounce off the warehouse. If the field was on ground level with warehouse it would have been hit a number of times by now.