Left field at OPACY going through a big change

Sports Guy

58 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Here's one posted on Feb 18th.

FL4sFkOWYAk7AZ-?format=jpg&name=small

I know nothing about construction, but that looks not too different than the Jan. 26 photos. Maybe it's what's happening just out of sight or behind that tarp where the progress is. I do know that the section with new playing surface has to drain (or be connected to) the rest of the under-the-field drainage system. Maybe that is what they've spent effort on the last 3 weeks. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, NashLumber said:

I know nothing about construction, but that looks not too different than the Jan. 26 photos. Maybe it's what's happening just out of sight or behind that tarp where the progress is. I do know that the section with new playing surface has to drain (or be connected to) the rest of the under-the-field drainage system. Maybe that is what they've spent effort on the last 3 weeks. 

It’s possible the photo is older, but it was posted on February 18th. That angle where left field being pushed back connects to center field is going to take some getting used to seeing.

It’s going to be interesting to see how outfielders get acclimated to the new dimensions and how much it factors into the balls in play. I think we’re going to see an increase in doubles and triples, but it’s just a guess right now. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It’s possible the photo is older, but it was posted on February 18th. That angle where left field being pushed back connects to center field is going to take some getting used to seeing.

It’s going to be interesting to see how outfielders get acclimated to the new dimensions and how much it factors into the balls in play. I think we’re going to see an increase in doubles and triples, but it’s just a guess right now. 

Makes me wonder if eventually the practice fields (and even the main ballpark)  in Sarasota will take on these dimensions in order to help players get familiar with the angles, etc.? Seem I read that the existing ones all had Camden Yards dimensions. 

7 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Makes me wonder if eventually the practice fields (and even the main ballpark)  in Sarasota will take on these dimensions in order to help players get familiar with the angles, etc.? Seem I read that the existing ones all had Camden Yards dimensions. 

I’m pretty sure Sarasota previously had one practice field with identical dimensions to OPACY.   I’d imagine they’d modify that one if it’s not too expensive (which it probably isn’t since there are no seats to remove).

• Upvote 1

This may have been discussed already and I apologize if so. The most athletic Of'er will have to occupy LF in home games. Speed, glove and arm. The CF'er will be able to cheat to right center and may cut off hits that were routine doubles in the past. The Rf'er will need mainly a good arm, less real estate to cover. There is certainly going to be a learning curve. Opponents will be at a disadvantage.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AlbNYfan said:

This may have been discussed already and I apologize if so. The most athletic Of'er will have to occupy LF in home games. Speed, glove and arm. The CF'er will be able to cheat to right center and may cut off hits that were routine doubles in the past. The Rf'er will need mainly a good arm, less real estate to cover. There is certainly going to be a learning curve. Opponents will be at a disadvantage.

I think the best fielder will still be playing center.  I think that as long as you don't have a Trumbo/Davis/Mancini type in left you should be OK.  That many more balls aren't going to drop.

The biggest adjustment is going to be the odd angles.

38 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would expect this to be a slight advantage for the Orioles since their leftfielder(s) will play 81 games a year there.  They should learn to handle it better than opponents LF'ers.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the best fielder will still be playing center.  I think that as long as you don't have a Trumbo/Davis/Mancini type in left you should be OK.  That many more balls aren't going to drop.

DJ Stewart played 39 games in LF last season, but it’s iffy that he even makes the team right now. 

stewart80719.jpg

Now all we need is a top flite defense. Top flite of the world Craig!

In all seriousness it would be the cheapest/quickest way for the O's to get back to being a team to be reckoned with. Not to mention being easier to lure pitchers with a top tier defense if all other variables are equal.