Left field at OPACY going through a big change

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Greenpastures23 said:

I'm sorry but this absolutely sucks. It's going to ruin some of the asthetics while taking away 70 percent of previous homers.  They should have just made the wall a bit taller 

It looks to me like the homers in that specific area will drop by about 50%.   But not all homers by RHB go there.   Figure about a 25% drop in homers by RHB.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Could hurt oppo field HR from the lefites.

I haven't seen any of the BABIP stuff for lefties.

I checked Davis HR's since 2015 on the HR graph I think 5 stayed in the new park out of 11 HR's total. 

Jones had around 26 HR's that would still go out and 12 that now stay in. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Greenpastures23 said:

I'm sorry but this absolutely sucks. It's going to ruin some of the asthetics while taking away 70 percent of previous homers.  They should have just made the wall a bit taller 

12 hours ago, fansince1988 said:

This may also speed up the games at OPCY by 15 minutes?, maybe more. 

Both of these are exaggerations.  As others have said it might reduce overall homers in the park by 10, 15, maybe 20%, and shorten the average game by tens of seconds.

19 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Could hurt oppo field HR from the lefites.

I haven't seen any of the BABIP stuff for lefties.

Chris Davis at his best served the ball into the LF stands with ease.  He stands out as a leftie that took advantage of the short porch.   Looked like he was playing pepper with the fans out in LF.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m still surprised at the amount of vitriol I see from people about this.

I guess change is still something that scares people?

The angle on the cutout next to the bullpen is extreme and probably not how you would design it if building from scratch. Not sure it would be worth having more unused space (or a non-rectangle lower bullpen) to make it less extreme though.

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Makes me wonder why they didn't redesign the bullpens.  Could end up with something close to this impact but with a more cohesive look.

Maybe that option was out of budget. It will provide some entertainment watching outfielders learning to figure out how the ball bounces with the new dimensions. 

And if DJ Stewart is on this year’s team, I hope we never see him play left field again. 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Makes me wonder why they didn't redesign the bullpens.  Could end up with something close to this impact but with a more cohesive look.

They could’ve moved the front bullpen to the big space in CF but then the LF power alley is huge. Probably didn’t want to suppress offense that much. I think I would’ve done it because it seems balls are going to increasingly get hit further and we’ll be ahead of the curve. Plus I’m losing interest in the three outcome era.