Correa (Update, signs with Twins)

Yardball85

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

All free agent deals are likely to be dumb.  Obviously some are easier to swallow than others.

As I have said, I would offer him 8/280 with 180 in the first 4 years and an opt out after that.  My hope would be he takes the opt out and you let him walk.

I’m one of the few that likes the opt out.

This would be smarter than offering him 10/350 thats for sure. His agent is Boras though and he already rejected a 10/275 offer from Detroit. But Id also much rather give him 8 years than 10. 

The question that I think Elias is weighing is  "Do the O's need Correa to win the World Series?"   This means projecting if Gunnar, Westburg, Ortiz and Mateo are enough  at SS for the O's  to  raise to the top to the standings.

This, of course, only impacts the O's thinking.  Correa's objective and choice are a different story.

56 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

All free agent deals are likely to be dumb.  Obviously some are easier to swallow than others.

As I have said, I would offer him 8/280 with 180 in the first 4 years and an opt out after that.  My hope would be he takes the opt out and you let him walk.

I’m one of the few that likes the opt out.

I’m okay with opt outs so long as the team never bites on an extension to avoid having the player opt out.   That always ends in disaster.  

33 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

This would be smarter than offering him 10/350 thats for sure. His agent is Boras though and he already rejected a 10/275 offer from Detroit. But Id also much rather give him 8 years than 10. 

Fwiw, I don’t think this offer would work but 45M a year for 4, back end security on the deal and the ability to opt out at a young enough age where he could still get a good contract could potentially be intriguing.  It’s also a big AAV.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Fwiw, I don’t think this offer would work but 45M a year for 4, back end security on the deal and the ability to opt out at a young enough age where he could still get a good contract could potentially be intriguing.  It’s also a big AAV.

Its intriguing because it's potentially fair value if he's a 5WAR player.  However, I'd want him around through the turn, for years 6-8 even if his WAR declines some.

Question is though, contrary to your thought, there's actually more value on a team in the 0-2WAR players in FA.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/what-are-teams-paying-per-war-in-free-agency/

Edited by MarCakes21

1 hour ago, MarCakes21 said:

Its intriguing because it's potentially fair value if he's a 5WAR player.  However, I'd want him around through the turn, for years 6-8 even if his WAR declines some.

Question is though, contrary to your thought, there's actually more value on a team in the 0-2WAR players in FA.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/what-are-teams-paying-per-war-in-free-agency/

The idea of paying 10-15M for a 1-2 WAR player because “they are worth it” is absurd to me.  You should be getting 1-2 WAR players easily and cheaply.

I honestly believe he would throw almost unlimited money at him and that’s been his plan all along because he can’t quit the passion Houston provides lol. Seriously, he passed on a real good SS prospect last year which seems like a head scratcher so perhaps this is the guy he’s willing to kick it off. But gotta have better SP so look for rumors there.

7 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Do you guys think that a Correa signing would be enough to attract solid Veteran pitching a guy like Grienke who before might not want to come here to help leap lead a young pitching staff? 

No..and I have zero idea why anyone would want Grienke.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The idea of paying 10-15M for a 1-2 WAR player because “they are worth it” is absurd to me.  You should be getting 1-2 WAR players easily and cheaply.

I don't think you understand what WAR means, or how free agency works? For the record in free agency its looking like a 1-2 WAR players will get around 6-7m/WAR. Last year in a down market it was 5.5

16 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I don't think you understand what WAR means, or how free agency works? For the record in free agency its looking like a 1-2 WAR players will get around 6-7m/WAR. Last year in a down market it was 5.5

Lol.  Nah, I understand it perfectly.  You just aren’t getting what I’m saying.