O's reportedly offer Tex $20 million/yr, 9 years

Hooded Viper

It's tough to expect good decision making if they make a poor decision with their biggest investment, no?

I think $20m a year for a big impact player, arguably one of the best at his postion is infinatly smarter than spending the same amount of money per year on mediocre arms in the pen and 4th outfielders.

Spend big on difference makers...fill in with low cost home grown talent (Markakis, Wieters, the young pitching).

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we can afford Tex now, but it significantly hobbles our ability to make a similarly costly splash signing when we need it in the future, will it be worth it?

Will we have the budget remaining in other words, to sign our own CC Sabathia in say, 2012 if it's the difference maker?

Will we have the remaining budget to sign those costly 1st round draft signings?

I personally believe that signing Tex now will produce future revenue that will allow us that flexibility, but I'm just guessing.

But that's the calculus that AM and PA must make.

Tex wouldn't be a poor decision. 8/$160M is no sweat at all. 8/$180M is a lot, but still I think its pretty likely Tex is worth that contract, especially considering he's worth probably $30M a year right now, so we'll be earning equity essentially early in the contract.

I disagree with your numbers, but that really isn't the point... If the contract blows past what you think is the maximum a player is worth (whatever it is) I'd think you'd have to conclude the team made a mistake.

Personally I believe that the market is cyclical and we are at the end of a peak. I think looking back at Teix's contract 5 years from now might be similar to several years ago when Tejada's contract (signed in a down cycle) looked like such a bargain compared to say a Jeter (signed in a market peak).

If we can afford Tex now, but it significantly hobbles our ability to make a similarly costly splash signing when we need it in the future, will it be worth it?

Will we have the budget remaining in other words, to sign our own CC Sabathia in say, 2012 if it's the difference maker?

Will we have the remaining budget to sign those costly 1st round draft signings?

I personally believe that signing Tex now will produce future revenue that will allow us that flexibility, but I'm just guessing.

But that's the calculus that AM and PA must make.

Not signing a player like Tex may mean we won't be close enough to even consider a "final piece" for quite a while.

Isn't it interesting that none of the insiders have weighed in on this particular thread????

Has AM met with the reporters yet??

I don't know if it was this thread or the other one, but Belkast has said he had been hearing that the offer was 9/$180M and that we were gonna make it today.

Is anybody else having flashbacks to Vlad G.?:eek:

Sorta, but the difference is Vlad wanted his mom to be in a hispanic community.

Teix on the other hand, has valid reasons why he would not intentionally spurn the Orioles.

Interesting to me that the first thing Boras mentioned as to how Teix is weighing the factors in his decision was his family.

Edit: Boras didn't say Teix said family was the most important thing, he just mentioned family first in his response to the question "How is Teix weighing the factors that go into his decision". Just to clarify.

I'm having flashbacks to when we signed Tejada, expecting him to lead the O's to a pennant. And then the FO surrounded him with a bunch of marginal ML players, totally wasting Tejada's efforts -- which eventally led to trading him. Hopefully AM won't make the same mistake. Tex is just one piece.....we need solid pitching, too.

Interesting to me that the first thing Boras mentioned as to how Teix is weighing the factors in his decision was his family.

Edit: Boras didn't say Teix said family was the most important thing, he just mentioned family first in his response to the question "How is Teix weighing the factors that go into his decision". Just to clarify.

I took the family reference to mean his wife and kids, not a Baltimore reference.

Yes, I was just thinking about that. I keep thinking I am going to log onto ESPN.com and see "Teixeira reaches agreement with Nats/Sox." I hope I am wrong. Either way, I hope this situation gets resolved pretty soon. It is kind of stressfull!

Archived