O's reportedly offer Tex $20 million/yr, 9 years

Hooded Viper

If this is true, then i think the Orioles should offer the same deal. For the same money, he is an Oriole...I have no doubt about that.

No need to go to 9/180 unless we need to(if that is a level they want to go tlo).

At least an extra year will have to be tacked on. If 8/160 is the Nats offer the Orioles will have to go minimum 9/180. Boras will get that extra year, no way does he end up signing for anything close to an initial offer. It's high enough now that I put the odds are more than 50/50 that he gets 200m.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boras mentioned that Tex is considering, amongst everything, the economic impact of winning. In other words, advertising revenue for his client. That sounds like Red Sox talk.

No big deal, but definitely Boras being Boras. It's all about the money.

One thing I liked about it: Why would Boras bring it up unless Tex is thinking about us? Seemed a little weird that he would throw that in there. I know, I'm stretching.

To put it another way, if Red Sox and O's are equal or close, Boras goes to AM and says, "Andy, Tex will make another 50 Million over the length of this contract just because the Sox are guaranteed contenders for years to come. Why shouldn't I advise him to take their deal?"

Boras will find a way to convince some team to really beat the other offers... No way does it come down to a couple of teams offering similar money and Teix picks one or the other.

I don't think he is going to convince AM he has to do anything.

I have no doubt that if we offer the same as the Nats, that Tex would pick us.

MLB.com has the Nats' offer at 8/180. I think they made a typo with the 160 as they say it's worth 22.5 million per season.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081210&content_id=3711491&vkey=hotstove2008&fext=.jsp

The Orioles can still beat this and willl IMO...

MLB.com's Bill Ladson reports that the Nationals have offered Mark Teixeira an eight-year, $180 million contract.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playernews.aspx?sport=MLB&filter_teams=ANA

We should also be hustling our asses off to get this done before the Sox jump in the game.
I don't think this is necessary or realistic.

If the Red Sox are gonna get involved, you can bet Boras will wait around to make sure they get involved. You aren't gonna trick Boras by moving quickly.

Archived