O's reportedly offer Tex $20 million/yr, 9 years

Hooded Viper

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They don't need to make a statement to their fan base.

Neither do the Orioles... Symbolism will only take one so far. If MacPhail has the resources to absorb a Texas sized contract and still put a winner on the field great. If not it is meaningless as the only statement with any kind of staying power is putting a winner on the field. That can be done with or without Teix.

Neither do the Orioles... Symbolism will only take one so far. If MacPhail has the resources to absorb a Texas sized contract and still put a winner on the field great. If not it is meaningless as the only statement with any kind of staying power is putting a winner on the field. That can be done with or without Teix.

Yes they do...You may not believe that but they do.

You aren't in Baltimore...They are an afterthought in this city right now.

Now, does that mean they should give this contract to Tex? Who knows...I tend to think it is way too much but I can guarantee you this...There will be a buzz in this city if it happens...They will sell a lot of tickets...There will be people thinking the Orioles are actually relevant again.

To you, that doesn't mean much...To a franchise with a decreasing fan base, one that has lost respect and one that is looked at as a joke, it is very important.

Yes they do...You may not believe that but they do.

You aren't in Baltimore...They are an afterthought in this city right now.

Now, does that mean they should give this contract to Tex? Who knows...I tend to think it is way too much but I can guarantee you this...There will be a buzz in this city if it happens...They will sell a lot of tickets...There will be people thinking the Orioles are actually relevant again.

To you, that doesn't mean much...To a franchise with a decreasing fan base, one that has lost respect and one that is looked at as a joke, it is very important.

Win and they won't be an afterthough. Winning is the only thing that really matters when it is all said and done. Sign Teix and there will definately be excitement in the short term but if they don't win they've accomplished zero. If MacPhail has the resources to absorb the ramifications of the contract over the long haul, then great. If not then we'll be back here 5 or 10 years from now trying to find the next savior.

Win and they won't be an afterthough. Winning is the only thing that really matters when it is all said and done. Sign Teix and there will definately be excitement in the short term but if they don't win they've accomplished zero. If MacPhail has the resources to absorb the ramifications of the contract over the long haul, then great. If not then we'll be back here 5 or 10 years from now trying to find the next savior.

Well, again, that is all up to the decision making...If the decision making is poor, we suck with or without Tex.

That's what it is going to boil down to.

It's tough to expect good decision making if they make a poor decision with their biggest investment, no?
Tex wouldn't be a poor decision. 8/$160M is no sweat at all. 8/$180M is a lot, but still I think its pretty likely Tex is worth that contract, especially considering he's worth probably $30M a year right now, so we'll be earning equity essentially early in the contract.

Archived