O's reportedly offer Tex $20 million/yr, 9 years

Hooded Viper

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, I was just thinking about that. I keep thinking I am going to log onto ESPN.com and see "Teixeira reaches agreement with Nats/Sox." I hope I am wrong. Either way, I hope this situation gets resolved pretty soon. It is kind of stressfull!

God, that would really suck if he signed with TWO rivals at the same time. Don't know how I'd handle that.

I'm having flashbacks to when we signed Tejada, expecting him to lead the O's to a pennant. And then the FO surrounded him with a bunch of marginal ML players, totally wasting Tejada's efforts -- which eventally led to trading him. Hopefully AM won't make the same mistake. Tex is just one piece.....we need solid pitching, too.

This is true, but now we have the young talent needed to surround Tex.

I'm having flashbacks to when we signed Tejada, expecting him to lead the O's to a pennant. And then the FO surrounded him with a bunch of marginal ML players, totally wasting Tejada's efforts -- which eventally led to trading him. Hopefully AM won't make the same mistake. Tex is just one piece.....we need solid pitching, too.

I never disagree with you, but Tejada's trade was predicated with horrible steroid rumors and poor defensive range, as well as a makeshift team surrounding him.

God, that would really suck if he signed with TWO rivals at the same time. Don't know how I'd handle that.

Since it would likely involve either slicing him in half or cloning him, he'd either be reduced in effectiveness, or available to every team! :wedge:

Agreed.

Angelos has been too vocal against big-money contracts in the past for me to suddenly think that he's suddenly changed his mind and 'opened the vaults'. If this deal is really on the table, I have to question whether this type of 'special money' will still be there when it's time to re-sign Roberts, Markakis or eventually Wieters if he develops into the player we think he'll be.

An even better question would be whether this type of money will be there for any of our young pitching if they develop. Especially with Angelos' past stance that pitching isn't worth big contracts.

Sorry if I missed this as I just skimmed the thread for links, but the mlb.com article that JTrea linked has changed the Nat's offer from 8yrs/$180 to 8yrs/$160.

Here's the link again:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081210&content_id=3711491&vkey=hotstove2008&fext=.jsp

EDIT: The article also says there was a published report that the O's offered 7 yrs/ $150. Where was that published?

This is really getting silly. If the Sox are in on this bidding war does anybody really think Tex will pick us over a great organization that has a chance to win it all every year because he would be closer to home?:rolleyes: I really doubt 400 miles is gonna sway his decision. I would love Tex in B-More but this just seems fantasy.

This is really getting silly. If the Sox are in on this bidding war does anybody really think Tex will pick us over a great organization that has a chance to win it all every year because he would be closer to home?:rolleyes: I really doubt 400 miles is gonna sway his decision. I would love Tex in B-More but this just seems fantasy.
He's going where the money is. That's likely been the case all along.

Believe whatever you want.

Archived