Hunter Harvey DFAed

NelsonCruuuuuz

14 hours ago, yark14 said:

I'd have no problem if we pick him up and give him another chance.  I think you are right regarding his preparation, which blows my mind because their family runs a baseball academy in North Carolina. I hope he eventually proves us wrong, because I hate for such a gifted arm to continue to go to waste.

Yeah, it’s a shame he did not work out for Baltimore. I think he is a guy who is at a crossroads, professionally. I hope he does find it, wherever he lands. But to come back to Baltimore at this point, with some of the comments he made about the organization publicly, I doubt it. At this point, he’s less valuable than Conner Greene, another journeyman electric arm. Conner actually stays fairly healthy, though. And I think there is a lot to be said about being available to your manager, versus being on the shelf for years. 

On 3/14/2022 at 12:57 PM, Tony-OH said:

He's certainly worth a minor league contract, but I think he may have burnt some bridges with his comments about the Orioles medical staff last year. 

This is so overblown IMO.   Here is what Harvey said:
“The spring training thing, I’m about positive it had to do with a weight room thing. We tried a new core exercise, and then two days later, I blew my oblique out. So, it happened to be something that worked the oblique and I think it all adds up together, going from how I’ve never done that exercise to two days later I have a Grade 3 oblique strain. So, I think it just all kind of goes together.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/10/three-more-injuries-ruin-another-season-for-hunter-harvey.html

There was no overt criticism of anyone.   And certainly not the medical staff.   

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

“The spring training thing, I’m about positive it had to do with a weight room thing. We tried a new core exercise, and then two days later, I blew my oblique out. So, it happened to be something that worked the oblique and I think it all adds up together, going from how I’ve never done that exercise to two days later I have a Grade 3 oblique strain. So, I think it just all kind of goes together.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/10/three-more-injuries-ruin-another-season-for-hunter-harvey.html

I think it was an obvious knock on the training staff - enough to burn bridges, but we've already discussed that and completely disagreed with each other.  

15 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I think it was an obvious knock on the training staff - enough to burn bridges, but we've already discussed that and completely disagreed with each other.  

There is risk every time Hunter picks up a baseball or does exercises.  Or ducks a line drive.   That is just the way Hunter has been.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Harvey was amazingly DFA'd shortly after these comments. Not to add a player, not with a series of moves, but by itself randomly in November. I'm sure the timing and the individuality of the move is just pure coincidence. lol

On 3/14/2022 at 6:10 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

We'd probably do well to give that organizational spot to someone who can average more than 20 innings a year.

I don't disagree, however, there's a ton of unrealized potential with him. It wouldn't take that long to find out if he's just an injury waiting to happen. A lot of upside if he can stay healthy.

3 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

I don't disagree, however, there's a ton of unrealized potential with him. It wouldn't take that long to find out if he's just an injury waiting to happen. A lot of upside if he can stay healthy.

Haven’t they already had plenty of time to determine if he’s an injury waiting to happen, or just doesn’t have the desire necessary to play at this level. 

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Harvey was amazingly DFA'd shortly after these comments. Not to add a player, not with a series of moves, but by itself randomly in November. I'm sure the timing and the individuality of the move is just pure coincidence. lol

On the face of it, the comment is him just being honest about what he thinks happened.   On the face of it, it's hard to believe that would lead to a release.   There may have been more behind the scenes.   I think he hasn't been the same since his initial callup when he closed and looked very good both at Norfolk and in Baltimore.   His releases by SF suggests that there are physical issues that are still there in the arm.   The comments or behind the scenes stuff could have been the straw that broke the camel's back but I doubt the Orioles would have released him if they thought he could  still be guy who made that strong debut.   My guess is there's another surgery in his future or a retirement or both.