Adley shut down for 2-3 weeks

Sports Guy

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The team couldn’t train or have contact with players during the lockout.  There is no blame on them for this.

Injuries are going to be all over the place this year, especially muscle issues early in the season.

What are you talking about?

First off the teams locked out the players so yea, we can blame them.

Secondly, you might not have noticed but Kjerstad and Rutschman are not on the 40 man roster and are not members of the Union.  The team was not in any way restricted from training or contacting them.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

What are you talking about?

First off the teams locked out the players so yea, we can blame them.

Secondly, you might not have noticed but Kjerstad and Rutschman are not on the 40 man roster and are not members of the Union.  The team was not in any way restricted from training or contacting them.

Oh yea, good point.  Forgot about that.

Still don’t think you can blame the team for it though.

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The team couldn’t train or have contact with players during the lockout.  There is no blame on them for this.

Injuries are going to be all over the place this year, especially muscle issues early in the season.

Neither player was on the 40-man so this doesn't apply to them. Either way, I'm not blaming the team, just stating the obvious. Your training staff has one role and that's to keep players on the field.

If your players, particularly young players keep getting strains and pulls, either you have fragile players or it's on your training staff. 

We'll see if the other teams top young players start dropping like flies but so far, the Orioles lost their 1st two top picks in a matter of a few days. Jinx, bad luck, perhaps, but it's worth monitoring.

I know if I was Elias I'd have the training lead answering some questions for me. 

The only thing consistent with the Orioles is the "worse case scenario" always being the case when these "injuries" occur. 

Have we ever had a guy really miss a few days? As soon as I hear "soreness" with an Orioles, I assume the worse and more cases than not they end up missing significant time.

Injures happen all over baseball, sure, but it's just frustrating that this team can't catch even a little break and have a little optimism going into a season. Hell, they can't even play an intrasquad game without someone getting hurt.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I'm not blaming them, just stating the obvious. Your training staff has one role and that's to keep players on the field.

If your players, particularly young players keep getting strains and pulls, either you have fragile players or it's on your training staff. 

We'll see if the other teams top young players start dropping like flies but so far, the Orioles lost their 1st two top picks in a matter of a few days. Jinx, bad luck, perhaps, but it's worth monitoring.

I know if I was Elias I'd have the medical lead answering some questions for me. 

The only thing consistent with the Orioles is the "worse case scenario" always being the case when these "injuries" occur. 

Have we ever had a guy really miss a few days? As soon as I hear "soreness" with an Orioles, I assume the worse and more cases than not they end p missing significant time.

Injures happen all over baseball, sure, but it's just frustrating that this team can't catch even a little break and have a little optimism going into a season. Hell, they can't even play an intrasquad game without someone getting hurt.

Well the good news is that the Os care more about the service time than actually winning, so this works out well for them.

Well, as much of a bummer as it is, let's not rush to call Adley's injury "worst case scenario". We all know what the worst case is for an elbow injury, and so far, he seems to have dodged it. No structural damage. And same with Kjerstad, people pull hammies and he hasn't played a baseball game in 2 years through no fault of anyone's. 

So all in all, the team is in good shape so far.

If it's any consolation, Chris Sale is on the shelf for several months with a rib fracture. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well the good news is that the Os care more about the service time than actually winning, so this works out well for them.

It certainly does not hurt in the service time department, but I was convinced the Orioles were not going to do that anyways with Rutschman due to his age.

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

Well, as much of a bummer as it is, let's not rush to call Adley's injury "worst case scenario". We all know what the worst case is for an elbow injury, and so far, he seems to have dodged it. No structural damage. And same with Kjerstad, people pull hammies and he hasn't played a baseball game in 2 years through no fault of anyone's. 

So all in all, the team is in good shape so far.

If it's any consolation, Chris Sale is on the shelf for several months with a rib fracture. 

I prefer not to find solace in the misery of others.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I prefer not to find solace in the misery of others.

Perhaps consolation was the wrong word choice. The point is injuries are happening everywhere, and we're going to see a ton of them I think. So we shouldn't feel like the O's are being unfairly picked on karmically speaking. 

"The Athletic" says it's his elbow, not his triceps:

Myriad Orioles Thoughts: Middle-infield mix, veteran additions, not worrying about Adley Rutschman’s elbow yet – The Athletic

Rutschman, baseball’s top prospect, has been held out of on-field workouts the past few days because he developed some elbow soreness after playing in an intrasquad game Friday. It shouldn’t keep the catcher out long.

“He’s just getting treatment right now,” Hyde said. “And I’m just hoping he’s out there in the next couple days.”

Edited by Paul in Virginia

3 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

O's wont be ready to really compete for anything until at least 2024 or 2025, why burn anyone's service time until then? 

I hope you just missed the sarcasm emoji! 

Rutschman is 24 years old, when he gets healthy and gets some rehab at bats in at AAA, he should be up in the majors playing this year. Which unsurprisingly will be after the Orioles gain an extra year of service time now.