Historic league names are back in the Minors

MurphDogg

Thank goodness. It was weird not to be referring to the South Atlantic League, the Carolina League, the Eastern League, and the International League.

Also, the Low-A leagues have been re-classified as Single-A.

Confusingly, the South Atlantic League is now the High-A league and the Carolina League is the Single-A league, so we have to get used to Delmarva being in the Carolina League and Aberdeen being in the South Atlantic League.

• Upvote 1

Nice find. Glad to hear this because it's much easier to remember. It is going to be strange having the South Atlantic League being higher than the Carolina League. 

Speaking of that, Frederick really should get a full season club back. They deserve baseball up there and I bet there MiLB broadcast would include an announcer and more than one camera!

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Speaking of that, Frederick really should get a full season club back. They deserve baseball up there and I bet there MiLB broadcast would include an announcer and more than one camera!

Amen to that. I don't get why the Nationals chose the Wilmington Blue Rocks over Frederick. The Wilmington stadium is not in much better shape and being in Frederick would allow them to sway MLB fans in their direction away from the Orioles.

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Amen to that. I don't get why the Nationals chose the Wilmington Blue Rocks over Frederick. The Wilmington stadium is not in much better shape and being in Frederick would allow them to sway MLB fans in their direction away from the Orioles.

Agreed, not sure what happened there but I'm sure if you follow the money trail it will give you an answer. they had a perfect opportunity to steal a fanbase from a local MD city.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

I'm waiting on the post from @DrungoHazewoodtelling us that if they really want to go with historic league names, they should name one after the leagues that existed in the 1880s, say the Consolidated StageCoach League or the Pure Prairie League.

At this point I've kind of run out of cares about this.  MLB decided to bring back historic league names.  Great.  A year after they unilaterally decided to call them AAA East and Single A Northwest or whatever.  Almost as if they were making a point that they own (literally or figuratively, doesn't matter) the minor leagues and can call them whatever they want.  Sure, 100 years ago you used to be a real, fully functional, competitive baseball league.  Today, you're ours.  Pacific Coast League?  Well over a century of history?  We'll erase that quicker than hitting the delete key.  We want to contract a quarter of you, we'll do it.  If we want to call you The Generic Baseball League of The Midwest Where Our Second Baseman Will Play For Six Weeks Until We Need Him, that's exactly what we'll do.  Now go on and develop our talent and we'll let you pretend that you matter for a while longer.

Oh, and you quirky independent leagues that used to think you were so special, bucking the Majors and signing whomever you wanted?  Ha, now all you're good for is the rules experiments we wouldn't even subject [insert generic minor league with historic name plastered on] to.  We assimilated the St. Paul Saints, the most indy of all the indy teams, and nobody lifted a finger to stop it.

Yea, that sounded pretty bitter, but I used to love the minors and now see it all as a kind of sham.

• Upvote 1