Orioles Strength and Conditioning Program Enhancements

Frobby

I’m not a regular reader of the Sun, but today I stumbled across this month-old story about the increased resources the O’s are putting into their strength and conditioning staff.    Interesting read.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-strength-and-performance-department-20220210-tuafdsidwra5vambl42dkpdbyi-story.html

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Code for he’s a fat ass.

I really don’t care.  He’s always been a bit heavy.    There have been lots of good pitchers who were heavier than Akin.  I’m just worried about how he pitches.   He was inconsistent last year but I did see occasional flashes from him.    Hoping to see them a lot more often in 2022.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I really don’t care.  He’s always been a bit heavy.    There have been lots of good pitchers who were heavier than Akin.  I’m just worried about how he pitches.   He was inconsistent last year but I did see occasional flashes from him.    Hoping to see them a lot more often in 2022.

Sure, but I’d like to see him come into camp in shape. He’s not overweight to the point you think,”It’s just him.” He’s not that far off.

Hey, I like him. I think he’s got more than we saw last year. 

There was an ESPn TV story years ago where they were interviewing heavier pitchers.  The pitchers interviewed said they like the extra weight because it helps them later on in the year to help with the heat.  That they lose weight as the season goes on and having the extra lbs keeps them from getting too weak.

Akin’s weight has zero to do with his performance. 

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There was an ESPn TV story years ago where they were interviewing heavier pitchers.  The pitchers interviewed said they like the extra weight because it helps them later on in the year to help with the heat.  That they lose weight as the season goes on and having the extra lbs keeps them from getting too weak.

Akin’s weight has zero to do with his performance. 

Yea, I've always considered comments of that sort nonsense.

It's an excuse to be heavy.  Being physically fit is superior to not being fit, particularly as an athlete.

Being able to handle hot weather, having superior endurance and having less stress on your joints are all good things. 

There is zero reasons why an athlete in today's game can't maintain their weight.  Not like he looked noticeably slimmer at the end of the season.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yea, I've always considered comments of that sort nonsense.

It's an excuse to be heavy.  Being physically fit is superior to not being fit, particularly as an athlete.

Being able to handle hot weather, having superior endurance and having less stress on your joints are all good things. 

There is zero reasons why an athlete in today's game can't maintain their weight.  Not like he looked noticeably slimmer at the end of the season.

I’m going to allow for the fact that every person is different.   Sure I think athletes need conditioning.   They don’t all need to look like Michael Phelps.

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m going to allow for the fact that every person is different.   Sure I think athletes need conditioning.   They don’t all need to look like Michael Phelps.

Of course they don't.

But I don't think jowls and a pot belly help performance.

Speaking as someone who has lost significant weight, you don't realize the negative effect it has on you until you don't have to deal with it anymore.