28 man opening day roster - so who's on it?

seak05

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Agreed, I just wouldn't consider him a lock without being able to read Elias's mind. It looks like we can likely keep two of the three. I listed them in no particular order above but I would rank them Gutierrez, Odor, Owings. 

EDIT Never mind, it looks like we can keep all three.

57 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Great list. I think Zimmerman has the stronger overall resume over Lowther. I would be a bit bummed if he was not in the rotation since he had success there unlike *everyone* else last year. Both have options. 

I think Akin finds a way on the team. Maybe starting Owings in AAA or by starting Lowther or Zimmerman in the rotation in AAA.

However it shakes out, I would rather have Akin in the bullpen with Lowther or Zimmerman getting regular starter innings in AAA than bumping them to the bullpen. 

From what I have seen Nottingham seems to be the favorite for backup C although I couldn't tell you why. 

It does seem like the bubble battles are backup C, Odor/Owings/Gutierrez, and Akin/Lowther/Zimmerman.

Whoever the backup catcher is, they will likely be DFA’d when Adley is ready. Nottingham was claimed on waivers a few times in 2021. I think they want to keep him over the two I mentioned, but if he gets claimed, not a big deal.

Gutierrez has been playing excellent defense and has been driving the ball. I also believe he has walked 7-8 times. I think he is actually a lock at 3B.

I could easily see Zimm over Lowther, sure. I really like Lowther’s stuff better, particularly the breaking ball. Zimm is solid, not sure how durable he is.

I think Akin is on Hyde’s last nerve. Reported is poor shape and his command is awful, again. IDK, maybe you’re right. But his preparation is seemingly as poor as Hunter Harvey’s was. 

2 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

I think Akin is on Hyde’s last nerve. Reported is poor shape and his command is awful, again. IDK, maybe you’re right. But his preparation is seemingly as poor as Hunter Harvey’s was. 

Don't get me wrong, I would not lose any sleep if Akin fails to make the team. I am fine with him being behind Lowther, Bradish, Zimmerman, Tyler Wells, and Baumann, if not also Kremer and Alex Wells. The only reason I would have him make the team is to see how he does in a bullpen role while keeping the other starter options stretched out in AAA.

• Like 1

Interesting to see MLB's latest O's top 30, with ETAs listed for the next couple of years... and combine it with this year's projected roster, so the immediate pipeline is in view:

ETA: 2022a 2022b 2023 2024
LF Hays Diaz   Rhodes
CF Mullins   Cowser  
RF Santander Stowers   Kjerstad
OF Stew./McK Jones Haskin Trimble
3B Gutierrez   Henderson Mayo
SS Mateo Ortiz Westburg  
2B Urias Vavra   Norby
1B Mountcastle    
IF Owings A. Hall Prieto  
DH Mancini      
C Chirinos Rutschman    

SP Means Rodriguez   Rom
SP Lyles Hall    
SP T. Wells Bradish    
SP Zimmerman Lowther    
SP J. Lopez Baumann    
RP Tate Smith    
RP C. Perez Bautista    
RP Sulser      
RP Scott      
RP Fry      
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, now said:

Interesting to see MLB's latest O's top 30, with ETAs listed for the next couple of years... and combine it with this year's projected roster, so the immediate pipeline is in view:

I think (hope) that the Aug 1 Orioles roster will be significantly more interesting then the opening day roster. Could conceivably see a starting lineup/rotation at that point of:

Cf: Mullins

LF: Hays

RF: Santander/Stowers/Diaz

1b: Mountcaste

2b/3b/ss: Urias, maybe some combo of Ortiz/Westburg

c : Adley

SP: Means, Lyles, Bradish, Rodriguez, Hall

That doesn't seem so bad? 

4 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Like Harvey, it seems like Akin spends the entire offseason in a deer stand.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Bradish and Diaz sent down, they were on a lot of people's lists or at least part of the discussion.

Would think Bradish will get a honest look this year. Maybe 1st option. Like others have said Diaz needs at bats freed up.