Tyler Wells 2022

Il BuonO

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Had pinpoint command today.  And I was very impressed with Adley’s game calling and framing.   

I disagree on the framing. I find the moving of the glove after he catches the ball obvious and annoying.  I don't think he's fooling anyone.  Just catch the ball where it's thrown.  You get the call an inch off the plate when that's where the target is and the pitcher hits it.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I was totally wrong about keeping him in the pen. He has probably been our best and most consistent starter. I love that the throws strikes and doesn't make mistakes. His K/9 is way down from last year but that hasn't hurt him yet.

Same. I thought we should have kept him in the pen as well. Glad to see it!!!

38 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I disagree on the framing. I find the moving of the glove after he catches the ball obvious and annoying.  I don't think he's fooling anyone.  Just catch the ball where it's thrown.  You get the call an inch off the plate when that's where the target is and the pitcher hits it.

They are now taught to go with the momentum. 

3 minutes ago, scottbbfm said:

They are now taught to go with the momentum. 

It's not momentum when a slider breaks outside 3 inches and the catcher pulls the ball back towards the plate. It does seem to be something most catchers do.  

Man, remember me getting bashed by some when I suggested taking him out of the pen and trying him as a starter? ;)

Seriously though, Wells is so mature and we have to give credit to Elias/Sig on taking him in the second round of the Rule 5 draft. Amazing that Scheroler was actually picked before him.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Wells is so mature

In his postgame presser with the gaggle just now, asked about how big a part Adley was of his successful night, he said he shook him off a few times but it's because he's such a great communicator, and said how proud he was of that kid.

He was one of those who turned 22 quickly after his draft year, and with the TJ after building the resume that got him Rule V consideration, is one of those near perfect storms of somebody who is older than you probably picture him.

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Who said Elias doesn't have any nuggets.  Tyler Wells, nugget!

I think Elias has put that narrative to rest this year. In addition to Wells, Urias, and Mateo, we now can add Krehbiel, Perez, and Jorge Lopez, all contributing positive WAR at virtually no cost.

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I think Elias has put that narrative to rest this year. In addition to Wells, Urias, and Mateo, we now can add Krehbiel, Perez, and Jorge Lopez, all contributing positive WAR at virtually no cost.

Likely some of those guys will be flipped at the deadline for even more prospects.  I'm hoping the O's hold onto Wells, Mateo and Lopez.  I think they can all be pieces on a playoff team.