DL Hall 2022

Tony-OH

If the plan is to convert him to relief and bring him up and he goes out and looks terrible at Norfolk (he actually looked dominant in his first relief appearance) isn't it dumb to stick to the plan?

Baseball is unpredictable.  Things rarely go according to plan.

I've been all about calling him up but we're getting to the point in the season that I think I'd just let him finish in AAA.  The longer we stay in contention the less it makes sense to experiment with him coming up if he's still struggling with command.  I think let him finish at AAA, give him a list of what needs to improve, and pencil him in to the OD roster in 2023.

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If the plan is to convert him to relief and bring him up and he goes out and looks terrible at Norfolk (he actually looked dominant in his first relief appearance) isn't it dumb to stick to the plan?

Baseball is unpredictable.  Things rarely go according to plan.

Exactly. The player also has to perform and Hall has not. That said, he is already on the 40 man so I think he will be up. Maybe he can get some low leverage innings and help save the bullpen a bit. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

It is fair to wonder why you bring him up at this point.

Peraonally, I would like to see him come up but you do have to ask if he can help a contending team right now.

OTOH, you have decided to go with this plan of moving him to the pen for the rest of the year so that he can help in Sept.  

If you end up not bringing him up, that plan looks kind of dumb.

Plans change though due to injury and performance. I would have been totally on the bring up Hall campaign, but I just see a guy who's pitching too much like Tanner Scott. He's behind every batter and honestly, the velocity seems to be a bit down from the reports from the announcers. 

If the team had up to 40 spots to give it would be a no brainer to still bring him up, but with just two to add, I don't think he's what they need right now. I'm not even sure what role I'd want to see him in other than mop up. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Plans change though due to injury and performance. I would have been totally on the bring up Hall campaign, but I just see a guy who's pitching too much like Tanner Scott. He's behind every batter and honestly, the velocity seems to be a bit down from the reports from the announcers. 

If the team had up to 40 spots to give it would be a no brainer to still bring him up, but with just two to add, I don't think he's what they need right now. I'm not even sure what role I'd want to see him in other than mop up. 

It is possible he’s hitting a wall.  I think we forget but he has thrown the most  innings this year that he has since 2019.  

Im not trying to give him excuses and he’s not like his control and command haven’t plagued him his whole career but if the velocity is slipping, it may be best to shut him down.

I didn’t think the stuff was great when he came up here for that one start.  It’s possible he just needs to be done for this year, spend another offseason training and come back to camp healthy and ready to roll.

• Upvote 1

I would imagine he's not having side sessions anymore since being a reliever.  So he's just strictly game time and obviously needs to work on command.  There's still a month left in the season.  The biggest thing that will keep him down is only having a 28 man roster, and us needing arms that can actually eat innings, and get results.  

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It is possible he’s hitting a wall.  I think we forget but he has thrown the most  innings this year that he has since 2019.  

Im not trying to give him excuses and he’s not like his control and command haven’t plagued him his whole career but if the velocity is slipping, it may be best to shut him down.

I didn’t think the stuff was great when he came up here for that one start.  It’s possible he just needs to be done for this year, spend another offseason training and come back to camp healthy and ready to roll.

And IF he's hitting a wall, the last thing you want is him coming up to the big leagues and over throwing and reinjuring something. I just am not seeing the same stuff I saw earlier at times. Then again, barring a few games this year, I haven't seen the same stuff I saw in 2021 before the injury.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

And IF he's hitting a wall, the last thing you want is him coming up to the big leagues and over throwing and reinjuring something. I just am not seeing the same stuff I saw earlier at times. Then again, barring a few games this year, I haven't seen the same stuff I saw in 2021 before the injury.

Wonder how his whiff rates compare to 2021.  The talk in 2021 was that he had 4 pitches with whiff rates of over 40%.

I think shutting him down is something to really consider.  Like you, I would be worried about injury.

I also think he should be on the trading block.  If he can be a key piece in a trade for a TOR starter, I think you have to do that. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Wonder how his whiff rates compare to 2021.  The talk in 2021 was that he had 4 pitches with whiff rates of over 40%.

I think shutting him down is something to really consider.  Like you, I would be worried about injury.

I also think he should be on the trading block.  If he can be a key piece in a trade for a TOR starter, I think you have to do that. 

Hall is definitely a guy I would include in a trade for a legitimate TOR if that's what it took. While he's had an amazing start here and there, I do have some concerns about his command and AAA RHB have not exactly been dominated by him (.233/.354/.375/.729). 

I still think he has a chance to be starter at the big league level, but I would like to see him dominate AAA right-handers a bit more before thinking TOR. I think he have a hard time making it through the 5th inning very often right now at the big league level because of the amount of pitches it takes him to get guys out. 

Overall, he still has that promise, and he's not giving up many hits in his relief outings, but he's still allowing too many base runners and needing a lot of pitches to get through innings against AAA hitters. 

I think the best comp is another hard throwing lefty that was drafted before him in 2017 in Mackenzie Gore.  Gore was a much more polished pitcher coming  out of high school(even though Hall a few months older) but both were seen as the top lefties coming out of high school that year.  They both have plus plus fastballs along with 4 pitches that if they are on can be dominant starters but both have had problems with control throughout their time in the minors.  Gore really struggled with command last season but this season has taken next step before he was injured and traded.  I always saw as a year behind Gore in terms of experience/polish.  I am hopeful we see that same thing with Hall next season.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Gore really struggled with command last season but this season has taken next step before he was injured and traded.  I always saw as a year behind Gore in terms of experience/polish.  I am hopeful we see that same thing with Hall next season.

You want Hall to get injured and traded?  😉

12 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I hope the pressure comes off him now, since he’s already pitched for the Orioles, he’s coming up with Gunnar, and he’ll be in a limited role in the bullpen. Just go out there and throw it over the plate. 

Yes sir!  Trust your stuff, DL!