Elias prioritizes player development over winning in the majors

wildcard

In Roch's blog article last evening Elias talked about why DL and Diaz were sent down.  Its not hard to think that the same logic applies to Bradish. 

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2022/03/orioles-option-bradish-hall-diaz-and-wells-in-latest-camp-cuts.html

It seems that though these three players may be able to help the major league club now,  that is not what is best for their development according to Elias thinking.

This is a little surprising to me for Bradish because he spent most of last season in AAA and is one of the  best starter candidates  in camp.  But that is the evaluation that Elias is making and as a fan I guess I have to accept that.

It would appear that to start the season we will see more of Zimmermann and Kremer  to go with Means, Lyles, T Wells and Lowther.

Lopez may be in a piggy back role to start the season as the O's try to find players to fill innings as the starters get stretched out.

One guy I am wondering about is Lakins.   He is not of the 40 man roster so it will be hard for him to make the OD  roster but he is pitching well in the early going.   It will be interesting to see his role and placement in the next week or so.

• Upvote 4

No problem with Diaz. Great to see he is healthy this spring but we have better options and he hasn't earned it. Bradish is a bit of a head scratcher but Lowther and Zimmerman have good cases to make the rotation. It's good that we have options and I do prefer whoever doesn't make it starts in AAA instead of getting moved to the bullpen. 

• Upvote 1

He should prioritize development over winning 65-70 games at most, if we are talking about usage of young players.  Whatever will help them become the best players they can be over the course of this season.  

BTW, I certainly don’t see how sending Diaz down is “prioritizing losing.”   I realize the guy has had a good few games, but it makes perfect sense to make the guy earn his way up to the majors with sustained good play, something he hasn’t done up to now.  

• Upvote 4

By the way, I’m not too fussed about who makes the Opening Day roster.  There’s very little time to evaluate players this spring.   Things will shake out over the first two months of the season and some guys will come up and other guys will be sent down or released.   If a guy like Bradish has a good start in AAA we could see him at any time.   I’m far more interested in where things stand on June 1 than April 8.   

• Upvote 3

Well player development should always be the key.  

I've been pretty vocal that I've felt Elias has slow-rolled guys, but I'm fine with each of these decisions thus far.

Diaz was horrendous last year and should put something solid together.  Bradish was a bit up-and-down and Norfolk last year, would like to see him put together some consistency as well.  If both perform well they'll both be up here soon.

I will say that I'll be really annoyed if Hall starts at Bowie.  

2 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Well player development should always be the key.  

I've been pretty vocal that I've felt Elias has slow-rolled guys, but I'm fine with each of these decisions thus far.

Diaz was horrendous last year and should put something solid together.  Bradish was a bit up-and-down and Norfolk last year, would like to see him put together some consistency as well.  If both perform well they'll both be up here soon.

I will say that I'll be really annoyed if Hall starts at Bowie.  

Seems like you might be annoyed.    He may not be at Bowie long but he could certainly see some time there.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not sure what the pearl clutching here is all about.  Let's not pretend that Bradish, Hall and probably even Diaz are going to be in the majors sooner or later.  

And, yes, of course he prioritizes development.  Nothing new.

Exactly. Elias is doing exactly what he keeps saying he's going to do and exactly what pretty much every poster predicted he would do. There are no surprises in this move. I understand a bit of the angst...Hall's stuff was incredibly electric and it will be fun to see him pitch in Baltimore, but everyone in the world knew he was going to start the year in the minors. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not sure what the pearl clutching here is all about.  Let's not pretend that Bradish, Hall and probably even Diaz are going to be in the majors sooner or later.  

And, yes, of course he prioritizes development.  Nothing new.

Its not a revelation.  Just a confirmation of direction.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Seems like you might be annoyed.    He may not be at Bowie long but he could certainly see some time there.

Seems fairly likely if you ask me.  He’s not even going to start the season on a full-season club.   But at the same time, he’s likely to see major league action this summer.   So, fine with me.   

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Its not a revelation.  Just a confirmation of direction.

That has been confirmed for a while now.

But don’t worry, I keep being told that all of these guys will get sufficient ML time this year and we will spend in the offseason and be ready to contend (or borderline contend) in 2023.

Somehow that’s going to happen with these guys in the minors but hey, it’s happening!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1