Tanner Scott and Cole Sulser traded to Marlins

MurphDogg

2 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

I did not see the game he opened. That’s a good sign then. The velo was there in the Spring. Did it have late movement?

I wasn't paying close attention.  I just remember seeing the velocity readings.  His fastball has always looked very straight to me.  He has always struck me as a command over stuff guy as a reliever.   Straight 93-94 fastball, average breaking pitch.

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I wasn't paying close attention.  I just remember seeing the velocity readings.  His fastball has always looked very straight to me.  He has always struck me as a command over stuff guy as a reliever.   Straight 93-94 fastball, average breaking pitch.

Maybe you’re right. I thought it had some hop in the Spring and maybe the first few outings in April. I’ll do a little research later and see if baseball savant has something. 

I have to say that looking at the return for Sulser and Scott, then also thinking about the returns for Givens and Castro, that I’ve had a change of heart that Lopez and Tate are must trades

My reasoning as of now is that I don’t think the returns would justify it, their GB rate/pitch to contact actually plays into our new ballpark/plus defense. We don’t need every reliever with a K and inning. Also, we’re getting to the point in the system that after 4 years of Elias, we don’t draft pitching, so the cupboard just isn’t there. Also, the expanded MLB rosters have made less quality waiver wire arms available. 

41 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I have to say that looking at the return for Sulser and Scott, then also thinking about the returns for Givens and Castro, that I’ve had a change of heart that Lopez and Tate are must trades

My reasoning as of now is that I don’t think the returns would justify it, their GB rate/pitch to contact actually plays into our new ballpark/plus defense. We don’t need every reliever with a K and inning. Also, we’re getting to the point in the system that after 4 years of Elias, we don’t draft pitching, so the cupboard just isn’t there. Also, the expanded MLB rosters have made less quality waiver wire arms available. 

Disagree again.   I'm not sure about trading both Tate and Lopez but I'm all for trading at least one, maybe both.   We haven't drafted starting pitching or should I say the starting pitching we drafted are probably future relievers.    Tate and Lopez, themselves, are failed starters.   Trade high on both.   Find the next Tate/Lopez amongst  Kremer, Sedlock, Watson, Vespi, Denoyer, Young, etc.

Trading both probably hurts the 2022 team a bit much from a PR perspective and definitely hurts in the short term.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Disagree again.   I'm not sure about trading both Tate and Lopez but I'm all for trading at least one, maybe both.   We haven't drafted starting pitching or should I say the starting pitching we drafted are probably future relievers.    Tate and Lopez, themselves, are failed starters.   Trade high on both.   Find the next Tate/Lopez amongst  Kremer, Sedlock, Watson, Vespi, Denoyer, Young, etc.

Trading both probably hurts the 2022 team a bit much from a PR perspective and definitely hurts in the short term.

We’ve traded Givens, Castro, Scott, and Sulser. What SP have we gotten back?  I just don’t see the arms to replace to Lopez and Tate in the minors. Maybe Baumann and Kremer. The return for the previously traded relievers were Vavra, Nevin, Smith, Velez, Deson, Guerrero, Rivera and a comp pick. I don’t think any of the DSL players acquired were even 100k plus signings.

There’s no need to give Lopez and Tate away. I like the idea of trading high on relievers for future SP, but that hasn’t happened with Elias so far. 

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’ve traded Givens, Castro, Scott, and Sulser. What SP have we gotten back?  I just don’t see the arms to replace to Lopez and Tate in the minors. Maybe Baumann and Kremer. The return for the previously traded relievers were Vavra, Nevin, Smith, Velez, Deson, Guerrero, Rivera and a comp pick. I don’t think any of the DSL players acquired were even 100k plus signings.

There’s no need to give Lopez and Tate away. I like the idea of trading high on relievers for future SP, but that hasn’t happened with Elias so far. 

The returns on the relievers have been good and appropriate for the production and talent they possess.

You aren’t getting top prospects for these arms.  Also, no need to pay 7 figure salaries for mediocre arms.  Tate should be dealt.