Rodriguez, Tork and Witt make OD rosters

Sports Guy

On 4/5/2022 at 8:16 AM, Can_of_corn said:

So it's awesome and good for the game when other teams don't game service time but smart when the Orioles do.

I said it before, the teams that get the draft picks are going to come out better than the teams that make the play for the extra service time.

Regarding the service time game - Ideally, the best players would play MLB.  But that's not the system they have created.  If we don't understand the service time game/goal at this point, then I'm not sure what else that can be said to help us.

The extra pick vs. extra service time is TBD.  But it seems like the mileage may vary depending on the goals for that one too (like trading away a prospect for a post-season run).

• 3 weeks later...

The underdogs bolting to an early lead has to worry Elias a little.  

Usual AL All-Star catchers Perez and Grandal scuffling, Murphy and Garver lead the AL catcher WAR chart today without setting the world on fire.   An All-Star berth might not yet be out of Rutschman's reach.   If he has Jeremy Pena's first six weeks, I might go so far as to say he's 50/50 or better to make the team.  

Rodriguez and Witt have some nice counting stat stuff going on.   I believe Julio's going to end up at least around 18 HR, 30 SB in a full slate of games so should be good for a Top 2 spot even if his rate stats aren't that great.

I don't expect Kwan to stay near top for 162.   Maybe Pena but even he's an old rookie with just mid-round pedigree.   Astros player development looks like it has done its usual good job, but not sure there is more than medium-good case Jordan Westburg there.

11 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

The underdogs bolting to an early lead has to worry Elias a little.  

Usual AL All-Star catchers Perez and Grandal scuffling, Murphy and Garver lead the AL catcher WAR chart today without setting the world on fire.   An All-Star berth might not yet be out of Rutschman's reach.   If he has Jeremy Pena's first six weeks, I might go so far as to say he's 50/50 or better to make the team.  

Rodriguez and Witt have some nice counting stat stuff going on.   I believe Julio's going to end up at least around 18 HR, 30 SB in a full slate of games so should be good for a Top 2 spot even if his rate stats aren't that great.

I don't expect Kwan to stay near top for 162.   Maybe Pena but even he's an old rookie with just mid-round pedigree.   Astros player development looks like it has done its usual good job, but not sure there is more than medium-good case Jordan Westburg there.

I guess what we really should want is for Rutschman to play very well over the final 125ish games of the year, but not finish in the top two for ROY, right?

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I guess what we really should want is for Rutschman to play very well over the final 125ish games of the year, but not finish in the top two for ROY, right?

I guess that might be what Elias and the organization wants.   I want him to earn and unseat JT Realmuto's ridiculous tiny fraction more than Joe Mauer's AAV as soon as possible, even if the 2028 Orioles forecast $$$/WAR takes a hit.

Will Smith might take care of that for me first.