So Odor makes it - how will he be used?

interloper

Odor was very good last year by OAA's rate metric.

Think of him as Todd Cruz or Ozzie Smith or Kevin Kiermaier, and cut bait if he doesn't perform that way in the first month.

Among the infielders, it isn't 4 guys for 3 spots for me; Gutierrez and Urias are the interesting ones, and Mateo and Odor not so much.    The fly in the delicious 2021 Ramon Urias milk is OAA thinks he was as terrible as Odor was excellent at 2B.

I don't know how Urias projects into the Next Good Team like I hope he might if he gives it all back with the glove.   Infield Benny Ayala?    He's a nice Bat, but if he can't do 2B, it isn't enough Bat for DH for me.    I think he'll get some SS games, but I am starting my expectations Valaika-level, and hope I'm wrong.

19 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Odor was very good last year by OAA's rate metric.

Think of him as Todd Cruz or Ozzie Smith or Kevin Kiermaier, and cut bait if he doesn't perform that way in the first month.

Among the infielders, it isn't 4 guys for 3 spots for me; Gutierrez and Urias are the interesting ones, and Mateo and Odor not so much.    The fly in the delicious 2021 Ramon Urias milk is OAA thinks he was as terrible as Odor was excellent at 2B.

I don't know how Urias projects into the Next Good Team like I hope he might if he gives it all back with the glove.   Infield Benny Ayala?    He's a nice Bat, but if he can't do 2B, it isn't enough Bat for DH for me.    I think he'll get some SS games, but I am starting my expectations Valaika-level, and hope I'm wrong.

Interested why you feel Gutierrez is more interesting than Mateo? 

25 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Urias put up close to 2 WAR over 95 games. I think it's fair to say he doesn't give it all back with the glove. I'd also like to see what happens with his defense if he could focus on 2B full time.

11 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Defense, exit velocity.   Met physical requirements of position when given AUG/SEP opportunity.

Gotcha. I do like Gutierrez quite a bit as well which is why I asked. However, if I had to choose a guy to sit to accommodate Odor, it would probably be him. Just because Mateo brings other things to the table like more power potential and elite speed. 

Odor does provide good 2B defense, but how valuable is that really? Remains a somewhat bizarre pickup for me. Not sure why a rebuilding club is so concerned about their righty-heavy lineup. Odor is only going to get a hit 2 times out of 10. Spread over a full year, and factoring in the lack of walks, it makes any home runs he hits kind of meaningless.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Started on the bench opening day vs LHP. Today gets his first start vs RHP. Gutierrez to the bench and Urias slides over to 3B. Just glad to see he is not playing ahead of Urias or Mateo and I hope that holds.

Looks like Urias will see time at 2b/ss and 3b.  Good to see him playing not sitting.

18 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Started on the bench opening day vs LHP. Today gets his first start vs RHP. Gutierrez to the bench and Urias slides over to 3B. Just glad to see he is not playing ahead of Urias or Mateo and I hope that holds.

This was pretty much my hope with how it would play out. Guti as the least prioritized guy, which is fine. Urias and Mateo need to play.

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He probably should’ve PH over McKenna tonight. 

Several posters in the game thread had the same thought but it was pointed out that he was not available because he was announced and then replaced earlier in the game when Counsell countered with a pitching change.

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Several posters in the game thread had the same thought but it was pointed out that he was not available because he was announced and then replaced earlier in the game when Counsell countered with a pitching change.

If only Hyde had known that the other manager could change pitchers like that!

When did they add that rule?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Hyder the brilliant tactician. 🙄

On 4/7/2022 at 10:39 AM, interloper said:

Gotcha. I do like Gutierrez quite a bit as well which is why I asked. However, if I had to choose a guy to sit to accommodate Odor, it would probably be him. Just because Mateo brings other things to the table like more power potential and elite speed. 

Odor does provide good 2B defense, but how valuable is that really? Remains a somewhat bizarre pickup for me. Not sure why a rebuilding club is so concerned about their righty-heavy lineup. Odor is only going to get a hit 2 times out of 10. Spread over a full year, and factoring in the lack of walks, it makes any home runs he hits kind of meaningless.

I agree on this. The only reason it would make sense is because he was a relatively productive big leaguer in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2018 (as a 20, 21, 22, and 24 year old). But that leaves 3 of the last four seasons that were pretty bad. Sure, 2020 was just 38 games and we can throw that out. But it's still not good in 2017, 2019 and 2021. Given this is his age 28 season, perhaps Sig and Elias thought there was something there that they can could get him closer to his earlier years when he looked like one of the better young 2B in the game. I am skeptical and he has made me more skeptical through spring and the early going of the season. Hopefully we either see him find something or much more likely get DFA'd sooner rather than later. In the meantime, I'll just close my eyes and image him punching Jose Bautista each time he steps to the plate as that is likely a much more enjoyable use of my time.