Matt Harvey close to minor league deal. (Update: signed)

MurphDogg

18 minutes ago, Pickles said:

And frankly, it's not even on the guy who sold the pills to Skaggs.  

Actually the guy who sold the pills was convicted so it is on him from a criminal law standpoint. Even if you believe in the right of individuals to do drugs, dealers at least have a responsibility to sell quality products that are not laced with lethal substances. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I will say the fact that there is a negotiation at all is crazy. Who is banging down his door besides Elias? 

There may be some non-monetary issues that they are haggling over.  Possible opt out dates if he isn't activated or language concerning any possible suspensions.  As far as the money is concerned, that should be a here's the offer, take it or leave it.

Added note:  Quote from Elias on MLBTradeRumors:   Orioles GM Mike Elias acknowledged to reporters that Harvey’s role in the Kay/Skaggs trial does make the negotiations “complicated” 

Not sure if anyone posted Elias' quotes on this yet (you understand if I don't want to spend time scrolling through this downer thread lol)...

“It is true that we’ve been working on a minor league deal with Matt,” Elias said. “Obviously, it’s a very unique situation right now with everything that he was involved with that came to light over the winter. I think from our perspective, he did a lot to help us last year. I know his stat line wasn’t the prettiest, but the innings that he threw, the luck that he had, and I think most importantly for us, the pro and the teammate that he was in helping us get through a very difficult season was something that we wanted back. We feel like he might provide us depth and he might be able to help us.

“He was in the process of kind of unlocking some things coming off an injury. Obviously, he’s in the situation that he’s in right now because of off-the-field things, but getting to know him last year, understanding his approach to what’s going on, our point of view is that this is something that shouldn’t prevent him from having another chance in this organization, especially with the way he conducted himself last year. So, we’ll see where it goes.”

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, interloper said:

Not sure if anyone posted Elias' quotes on this yet (you understand if I don't want to spend time scrolling through this downer thread lol)...

I find it interesting that Elias notes his poor stat line and his luck. Is that good luck or bad? 

2 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Added note:  Quote from Elias on MLBTradeRumors:   Orioles GM Mike Elias acknowledged to reporters that Harvey’s role in the Kay/Skaggs trial does make the negotiations “complicated” 

You see? This makes it a head scratcher to me. If the guy in question was good it might be worth it to go down that road, but with Harvey why go through the trouble?