Mason McCoy traded to Seattle for cash

interloper

• 4 months later...
1 minute ago, yark14 said:

That is an awesome play.  Seems like he completely changed his batting profile.  When he was in the O's system he typically hit for good average but had little power.  This year it has flipped.

Playing in the PCL makes a big difference, but maybe he made some tweaks to get to some more power. I'm definitely rooting for him.

I don’t know how professional baseball players have gotten so good at throwing from their glove.   I never saw this at all until the late 90’s, and it’s becoming more commonplace and spectacular all the time.   I wonder if they are designing pro gloves in a way that makes it easier to make an accurate glove flip.   It’s very easy to make a terribly wild throw if you don’t do it exactly right.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know how professional baseball players have gotten so good at throwing from their glove.   I never saw this at all until the late 90’s, and it’s becoming more commonplace and spectacular all the time.   I wonder if they are designing pro gloves in a way that makes it easier to make an accurate glove flip.   It’s very easy to make a terribly wild throw if you don’t do it exactly right.  

Have you tried it?   I never attempted it, ever!

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Only fooling around, never in a game.   It’s quite difficult to do in an accurate, predictable way.  

I think its easier with an infielder glove (which is smaller and opens a bit wider and has a bit shallower web.) Also if the glove has a closed pattern in the webbing I find it harder.  My siblings had smaller gloves and I could throw pretty easily from the glove.  I had a big fat honker that I think was meant for the outfield, and the ball would get caught in the fingers.

Most guys that played ball growing up played “taps” , a game where you catch and toss ball in one motion with your glove only,  before games and in between double headers.  Kids now as young as 9 are learning advanced glove skills, mostly because they’ve seen big leaguers do it.  Some times is quicker, but most of the time a good throw will do.  That was a pretty spectacular play.