It's Opening Day!

SteveA

Here's what I am excited about today - John Means v. Shane McClanahan.

As we start working our way out of this pit, that's a "fair fight" to me where the Oriole winning, if he can, is a semi-realistic step towards the Orioles team catching up to the other teams.    Having a better #2 starter would be nice.

Treated myself to MLTV Extra Innings this year for some unknown reason. Probably the dementia setting in. Get to see all the O's games cept when they play the Red Sox - those games on NESN. Going to start today watching the Sux versus Sanks and root for both to lose in some fashion or other. Then the O's at 3:15. Go Birds! Ain't The Beer Cold!

• Upvote 1

Thank you for starting this thread.  I think it should be illegal for the Rays to host opening day.  I am always fired up for opening day but the thought of watching opening day in that dome hasn't been easy to get excited about.  This thread helps.  Lets Go O's!

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The OD roster doesn't thrill me, but I think the roster will get more interesting as the season progresses...

This is where I'm at.  Can't wait for Rutschman to come up and to have Bradish, Rodriguez and DL Hall filter into the rotation as the year goes on.  This team could be much better in July - September than it will be today.  At least hope springs eternal.

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Sorry Steve to correct you but they won in 18, lost in 20. Jones hit a walk off HR, his last OD here in 18.  

2010 I will always remember as the Mike Gonzalez Special. He blew OD in Tampa, and then was booed during intros before the home opener and then he blew the game that day. About 12 years of pent up frustration was taken out on him. Then the season imploded. 

Wow, I forgot Mike Gonzalez was a thing and now it all comes rushing back.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Wow, I forgot Mike Gonzalez was a thing and now it all comes rushing back.

Yes, for some reason a while I had confused some history in my mind and I thought that it was Kelly Gregg that blew that Opening Day in Tampa, until @eddie83 reminded me.   I remember the blown opening game at TB and then the booing in the home opener, but I was convinced it was Gregg.   But eddie is right, it was Gonzalez.

Just now, SteveA said:

Yes, for some reason a while I had confused some history in my mind and I thought that it was Kelly Gregg that blew that Opening Day in Tampa, until @eddie83 reminded me.   I remember the blown opening game at TB and then the booing in the home opener, but I was convinced it was Gregg.   But eddie is right, it was Gonzalez.

And now of course my brain has confused Kevin Gregg of the Orioles with former Ravens center Kelly Gregg.

Maybe I should stop trying to tax my brain and just go back to working on the software I am writing.   I seem to be able to keep things straight in that arena.

I think there should be a ban on having Opening Day at a place like The Trop.  I get that everyone can't have Opening Day at their stadium, that's obvious.  But to have an Opening Day at The Trop?  Kind of a wet blanket for the day, IMO.  

1 hour ago, mrbig1 said:

I'm going to fire up a fatty and watch the game.  You see guys on the game thread.

Are you sure you haven't fired up that fatty already?

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Gonzalez was signed in the 2009-10 offseason, and coming into the year he had a career ERA of 2.57 in 302 games.  He blew leads in two of his first three games with the O's and that was it.  He was done as an effective pitcher in the minds of most Orioles fans.  Went on the DL after the third game, didn't come back until July.  But after that had a 2.78 ERA for the rest of the year.

Someone can look up the threads, but I'm sure I was screaming Small Sample Size, give the guy a shot and was drowned out by the cries of this guy doesn't have the closer pixie dust get him out of here.

In 2011 he once again was terrible in April, bad in May, and mostly relegated to low-leverage situations afterwards.  In September they traded him for Pedro Strop, who was awesome for a while then melted down, then we traded him to Chicago where he was very good for a long time. 

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think there should be a ban on having Opening Day at a place like The Trop.  I get that everyone can't have Opening Day at their stadium, that's obvious.  But to have an Opening Day at The Trop?  Kind of a wet blanket for the day, IMO. 

It's 72 and mostly sunny in Tampa today, let's go inside and play some Arena baseball in a mausoleum.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's 68 outside my house and it feels cooler.  It's not bad out but it's not exactly ideal weather.

You Florida people are hilarious.  When I was in Iceland a few years ago there was a day it got up to about 60 with a decent breeze but some actual sunshine and everyone was in shorts, people laying out.  Florida Man would be in a parka with a wool hat.

68 and mostly sunny is the best weather.  You can run forever if it's in the 60s.  If it gets much over 80 I'm not exercising outside, too hot.