Kevin Brown (announcer, not former pitcher)

joelala

3 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Anyone see the Apple TV baseball games? The reviews are terrible. 

The three commentators selected for the curtain-raiser seemed to have been drawn from a hat on Bingo Night in the rectory basement. 

One, Melanie Newman, who calls Orioles games, to put it indelicately, wouldn’t or couldn’t shut up. She spoke about anything and everything for 3 hours and 43 minutes. She was the sister-in-law you’re stuck seated next to at Thanksgiving dinner.

For me Kevin is just there.   Not much personality.  Not much flair.   You guys say its because he is young, growng into the job.  I take your word for it.   Jim and Ben add to the broadcast.  Not so much Kevin.    Maybe I will feel better about him in time.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

For me Kevin is just there.   Not much personality.  Not much flair.   You guys say its because he is young, growng into the job.  I take your word for it.   Jim and Ben add to the broadcast.  Not so much Kevin.    Maybe I will feel better about him in time.

I feel like he’s the pitcher who nibbles, never trusting his stuff. I like his voice, but not much else.

He should go back to posing for the cover of Mad Magazine.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

The three commentators selected for the curtain-raiser seemed to have been drawn from a hat on Bingo Night in the rectory basement. 

One, Melanie Newman, who calls Orioles games, to put it indelicately, wouldn’t or couldn’t shut up. She spoke about anything and everything for 3 hours and 43 minutes. She was the sister-in-law you’re stuck seated next to at Thanksgiving dinner.

I root for Melanie and she's a great ambassador for the game, but I will say I've heard her do this kind of thing on Orioles TV broadcasts before (much less so on radio, where she has a nice report with Geoff).

Kevin Brown, while occasionally verbose, does definitely understand how to be quiet and let the game happen at times throughout the broadcast. He and Ben I think do a nice job of interjecting some long silences. Sometimes there's just nothing to say for a minute or two, and that's totally fine. 

6 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Harsh but not far from the truth. She’s a good fit for hosting the pre/post game but just talks too much and about non baseball subjects to work in the booth.

I think Melanie has gotten a lot better since she started.  She still has a ways to go, but give her time to keep improving.  Same with Kevin, though I think he’s very solid now.  

I’m not sure what’s happened to Geoff Arnold’s energy level this year.   He sounds very blase in a way he didn’t before.  I listened to the postgame show after the 5-0 win over the Yankees and he was practically comatose.   

• Upvote 1

Listening to the Tigers broadcast of their home game vs NYY tonight and it sounds like they're commentating on a funeral. 

Brown has some growing to do but he could be really good in the end. I'll take our crew over most of the others in a heartbeat.

On 4/19/2022 at 3:43 PM, survivedc said:

Harsh but not far from the truth. She’s a good fit for hosting the pre/post game but just talks too much and about non baseball subjects to work in the booth.

I think Newman does a really good job with the pre-game and post-game hosting duties as well. The strange this (for me) is Rob Long is one of the few personalities on 105.7 The Fan I like listening on that statins.

But since he's started doing pre and post game for the Orioles, I haven't enjoyed watching him compared to his radio show. 

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Had to like Brown’s “Man, ain’t the Gatorade cold!” line as Odor got doused while crossing home plate after tonight’s game winning homer.   

Kevin Brown is great. Everything is exciting and he’s sharp and clever. Keep up The great work!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Had to like Brown’s “Man, ain’t the Gatorade cold!” line as Odor got doused while crossing home plate after tonight’s game winning homer.   

I liked that. But to me, even better, just before that, was how they teamed up with this sequence:

Palmer:  "He hopes he makes a mistake"  

crack of the bat

Palmer, calmly: "He does."

Brown: "That is absolutely walloped to right field! And that's all folks!"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NashLumber said:

I liked that. But to me, even better, just before that, was how they teamed up with this sequence:

Palmer:  "He hopes he makes a mistake"  

crack of the bat

Palmer, calmly: "He does."

Brown: "That is absolutely walloped to right field! And that's all folks!"

"Ain't the Gatorade cold!"  I love the big Gatorade splashdown and he captured it whilst mimicking Chuck T.

Oops - didn't see @Frobbycomment but I echo that response!

Edited by bobmc
repetitive yada yada

• 4 months later...