Colton Cowser 2022

ShoelesJoe

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol..that’s stupid.  Get him up to AAA this year and let him get going at that level.

He should be in Baltimore no later than June 1 next year.

Agreed Norfolk's schedule doesn't end until September 28th, there's plenty of season left for Cowser to pick up some valuable experience. AA pitching is not a challenge for him. 

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why isn’t he ready yet?  Because he’s in AA?  Plenty of guys make the jump right from AA, including a Michael Harris this year who could end up winning ROY.

You could argue for trading 2 of our starting outfield this offseason and just plugging Cowser and Stowers in. 

His only red flag is k rate, but his BB rate is way high. Makes me wonder how much of that relates to swing decisions and poor umpiring at his level. At some point it could be a real issue though. 

His GB% is essentially the same as his FB% in AA, so that's great news. 

Edited by LookinUp

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Why isn’t he ready yet?  Because he’s in AA?  Plenty of guys make the jump right from AA, including a Michael Harris this year who could end up winning ROY.

Interesting thought. Any reports on his defense? With all the Gunnar hype and Stowers in AAA, Cowser does seem a bit under the radar. You could make a good case for him if the O's were desperate. The main difference, when Harris was called up Duvall was slugging .274. 

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Interesting thought. Any reports on his defense? With all the Gunnar hype and Stowers in AAA, Cowser does seem a bit under the radar. You could make a good case for him if the O's were desperate. The main difference, when Harris was called up Duvall was slugging .274. 

Well right now, Hays is hurt and struggling. Mountcastle is doing very little. Mullins can’t hit lefties.  

There are plenty of at bats.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Well right now, Hays is hurt and struggling. Mountcastle is doing very little. Mullins can’t hit lefties.  

There are plenty of at bats.

All true but you don't replace productive veterans with AA guys every time somebody goes in a slump. Cowser doesn't solve Mullins' lefty problem (.579 this year). It is tempting though. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

All true but you don't replace productive veterans with AA guys every time somebody goes in a slump. Cowser doesn't solve Mullins' lefty problem (.579 this year). It is tempting though. 

Not even sure why you said posted this. No one is calling for this and quite frankly, Cowser isn’t just some AA guy. 

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He isn't ready because he has had basically 1.5 good months and there are others (Stowers) ahead of him.  Would you jump him in front of Stowers? I think you could definitely bring Stowers up for Hays at this point though.  Put Hays on the IL as he has to be hurt.  

Just now, baltfan said:

He isn't ready because he has had basically 1.5 good months and there are others (Stowers) ahead of him.  Would you jump him in front of Stowers? I think you could definitely bring Stowers up for Hays at this point though.  Put Hays on the IL as he has to be hurt.  

It’s more than 1.5 months.  He is an advanced college bat.  I have no doubt that he could come up and hold his own.  Would he be an upgrade?  Who knows but I wouldn’t be surprised.

I could see him being as or more ready than Stowers because of his approach.