Colton Cowser 2022

ShoelesJoe

Hitting .340 with an OPS over 1.000 bit still striking out a lot.  2 more today.  On one hand he's dominating but he doesn't look dominant if you watch his AB's.  Hard to pinpoint his issues. Obviously he has good plate discipline but he went out of the zone, high fastball and curve in the dirt, on both strikeouts. 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Hitting .340 with an OPS over 1.000 bit still striking out a lot.  2 more today.  On one hand he's dominating but he doesn't look dominant if you watch his AB's.  Hard to pinpoint his issues. Obviously he has good plate discipline but he went out of the zone, high fastball and curve in the dirt, on both strikeouts. 

Have to be a bit careful about the strikeouts.  The Orioles have specifically mandated that they would rather their guys strike out in the minors vs. swing at balls.  With Cowser's eye, it's possible that this is part of his strikeout issue.

19 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Have to be a bit careful about the strikeouts.  The Orioles have specifically mandated that they would rather their guys strike out in the minors vs. swing at balls.  With Cowser's eye, it's possible that this is part of his strikeout issue.

Possibly but as I said, today he swung at pitches out of the zone for strike 3.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s a good thing that never happens in the majors!

Who said it didn’t?    You said he wasn’t being challenged.   It’s certainly not so easy for him that he can’t continue to learn at AA.  I have no issue with promoting him but he is being challenged at AA.

30 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Who said it didn’t?    You said he wasn’t being challenged.   It’s certainly not so easy for him that he can’t continue to learn at AA.  I have no issue with promoting him but he is being challenged at AA.

He’s crushing the ball and dominating the league.  He would strike out in college right now.  He would get out in beer league softball games. 

He needs to go to AAA.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s crushing the ball and dominating the league.  He would strike out in college right now.  He would get out in beer league softball games. 

He needs to go to AAA.  

He’s striking out 29% of the time in August.   As you’ve already ignored, he’s also benefiting from about a .450 BABIP.   I realize you don’t care about anything that shows you’re wrong about his total domination of AA but those numbers are facts.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, oh-wee-ohs said:

It's kinda annoying he isn't in AAA yet. Hope I'm wrong, but starting to get the feeling this is being set up to be a late August call-up next year. 

Maybe some moves come tomorrow. 

The speed some of you want players to move through the system is amusing. He’s barely had 200 plate attempts at double A, and he’s striking out more then he’s walking.

If his babip was a more normal .350, he’d only be hitting around .270-.275 right now. Perfectly respectable but not dominating. 

18 minutes ago, seak05 said:

The speed some of you want players to move through the system is amusing. He’s barely had 200 plate attempts at double A, and he’s striking out more then he’s walking.

If his babip was a more normal .350, he’d only be hitting around .270-.275 right now. Perfectly respectable but not dominating. 

Or maybe he's hit a wall and needs to be humbled a bit and adjust. There's nothing at all wrong with that. Other prospects have been promoted with less than stellar stats this year (Norby, Mayo, Cowser to AA, etc) 

Ok, Im striking out too much but what does that matter when I have a 1.000 OPS? Next level, those strikeouts maybe make you stumble and adjust / learn. Again, there's nothing wrong with any of that. 

Edited by oh-wee-ohs

On 8/26/2022 at 10:19 AM, Pushmonkey said:

This might sound far fetched, but would a September call up be in order to give give a taste of majors and give Hays days off. 

No for several reasons. One, you don't need to protect him on the 40-man this offseason and two, they can only add 2 players this year. Cowser had a great year once he hit AA. Personally, I'd like to see him promoted and play the last few weeks in AAA, but it's not the end of the world if he doesn't.