Hudson Haskin 2022

ChuckS

2 hours ago, JustLearning said:

I know Stowers got his chance and had a decent debut, but the Orioles aren't really in need of outfielders right now. I can see Stowers being trade bait and having a better chance elsewhere. 

Trading Stowers or from our MiLB stash would imply buying.  I still think we are more likely to be sellers, which would imply trading from our MLB roster and likely Mullins or Santander.   Of course there are exceptions to the above, but generally speaking...

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2022 at 4:31 PM, Ohfan67 said:

Boy, this thread got about as cold as Hudson. Haskin's spectacular two weeks in April resulted in a 1.182 OPS for the "month", but then he put up a .663 OPS in May and currently has a .455 OPS in June. The party didn't last very long. 

The party has restarted.  4 for 6 tonight with a homer, two doubles, 4 RBI.  Over the last 8 games he’s hit .387/.411/.742 to raise his overall OPS to .815.   Nice to see him back on track.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The party has restarted.  4 for 6 tonight with a homer, two doubles, 4 RBI.  Over the last 8 games he’s hit .387/.411/.742 to raise his overall OPS to .815.   Nice to see him back on track.  

That is great!

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I saw the video highlights.  I wanted to be impressed.  2 doubles were hard grounders a good 3B makes the plays.  The single was off the handle or an infield hit.  The homerun looked nice.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I saw the video highlights.  I wanted to be impressed.  2 doubles were hard grounders a good 3B makes the plays.  The single was off the handle or an infield hit.  The homerun looked nice.

Hard grounders are fine.  Would you have been more impressed if they were 2 feet to the left and down the line?

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Those make up for the line drives right at fielders, but I hear what you’re saying. Good for him, though. 

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

Hard grounders are fine.  Would you have been more impressed if they were 2 feet to the left and down the line?

Yes and even more impressed if they were in the gaps or over the outfielders heads.

So, he had 3 hard hits in 6 ABs.  Or a 50% HH%.  For context, MLB average in 2022 is 35.7%.  (No clue if any of his hits/outs qualified or not, but just for fun.)  That's the type of thing the staff will be looking at more than something like AVG.  

Statistics support the logic that you hit the ball, then players don't have as much time to get to the spot to which the ball is hit.  Throw in the launch angle, sprint speed, etc. and it'll tell you a bit more about expected outcomes (xBA, xwOBA...)

In the grand scheme of things, I would feel much more confident about a player's future seeing 2 crushed liners right at players for outs than 2 lazy loopers just out of the 3B reach.  That's where the 'eye test' and the advanced stats start lining up.

• 1 month later...
56 minutes ago, owknows said:

Not sure who this "most" guy is.... but he doesn't know much about baseball

I would say he doesn't get much love on the board, although to be fair, he hadn't done much since the beginning of the season until recently.   I believe our friend SportsGuy has pretty much written him off and Tony wasn't very high on him either but maybe those opinions have changed.

Edited by RZNJ

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I would say he doesn't get much love on the board, although to be fair, he hadn't done much since the beginning of the season until recently.   I believe our friend SportsGuy has pretty much written him off and Tony wasn't very high on him either but maybe those opinions have changed.

I think you have to like the power increase he has shown this year.  That’s a big deal.