Hudson Haskin 2022

ChuckS

22 hours ago, justD said:

Pitching for Harrisburg tonight was horrendous.  So it was hard to judge anything except our guys were very patient, waiting for something they could hit. Haskin walked twice. His one hit was a long drive down the right field line that scored Cowser.

In the 7th, he fouled a ball back into his body - I thought it went off his head but it might’ve been his shoulder or neck.  Anyway, it caromed off his body all the way the first.  He came back in the box to finish the AB but then popped out foul and was taken out of the game after that point.

Will be interested to find out if he just shakes this off.  I think they took him out just as a precaution.  I hope. 

So he wasn’t in the lineup tonight and didn’t see him warm up. Will be interested to see if he’s in tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It seems him an Hernaiz are two guys that constantly get over looked when mentioning prospects.  They have both put up very respectable numbers this year though.  The crazy thing is 5 years ago if they were putting up numbers like they have they would be talked about a lot as future major league pieces.  It shows how much better the farm is that so many other guys are ahead of them and they around the 20th best prospect among scouts.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Haskin hit #15 tonight.  Sneaking towards that magic 20HR number that will get some people excited.  He’s been streaky on season, but has improves from last year and now sits with a very respectable .823 OPS.  7 years ago and we’d be going crazy for this guy.  

The ghosts of Jeff Fiorentino and Val Majewski Past (I know that was a lot longer than 7 years ago at this point)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pushmonkey said:

Question for the group, can he push to replace McKenna?

As the 4th OF? I feel like McKenna has done well in his role this season, and I can't imagine it's easy without a routine and he has shown improvement. He's less than 2 years older than Haskin.

Where does McKenna go if Haskin replaces him? I imagine Haskin, in prospect-status right now, probably has more trade interest than a 4th OF/short-side platoon outfielder, but maybe their trade value is similar. We have some interesting OFs and it wouldn't surprise me if Haskin gets talked about in trade discussions.

• Upvote 1

Haskin is one of these guys who, for me, falls a notch below true prospect status. I could see him getting a cup of coffee in the majors but I can’t imagine him having a regular gig, even as a McKenna type.  I don’t really know why I feel that way.   He’s just not someone who stands out to me in any significant way.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Haskin is one of these guys who, for me, falls a notch below true prospect status. I could see him getting a cup of coffee in the majors but I can’t imagine him having a regular gig, even as a McKenna type.  I don’t really know why I feel that way.   He’s just not someone who stands out to me in any significant way.  

He's kind of a tweener.   Questionable plate discipline numbers, maybe not enough power for a corner or enough speed/defense for CF.    He doesn't stand out in any way but he's only 23 and he did improve in AA while advancing a level so we can always hope he makes more improvements next year while advancing to AAA.    

19 hours ago, RZNJ said:

He's kind of a tweener.   Questionable plate discipline numbers, maybe not enough power for a corner or enough speed/defense for CF.    He doesn't stand out in any way but he's only 23 and he did improve in AA while advancing a level so we can always hope he makes more improvements next year while advancing to AAA.    

I have not seen him play much but MLB Pipeline rates his speed  and his fielding 60. And he has a Mullins like arm at 45.    So you are saying he is not a good  CF?   Interested in what you have seen.  

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I have not seen him play much but MLB Pipeline rates his speed  and his fielding 60. And he has a Mullins like arm at 45.    So you are saying he is not a good  CF?   Interested in what you have seen.  

He’s not a base stealer and Tony has not been overly impressed with his CF defense from what I can remember.  He can play CF but it sounds like he’s not a true CF.

From MLB Pipeline:

An athletic center fielder with both power and speed, Haskin has long drawn easy comparisons to All-Star outfielder George Springer, who preceded Haskin at Avon (Conn.) Old Farms School by a decade. 

______

I am not saying its true.  Just pointing to an opinion by Callis.

Mckenna is a better defensive outfielder overall and better base runner due to his speed, so that alone gives him a nod as a 4th/5th outfielder type. Haskin to me just doesn't do anything that suggests he's going to be a regular. He could end up a 4th outfielder or a maybe a 2nd Division regular.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

From MLB Pipeline:

An athletic center fielder with both power and speed, Haskin has long drawn easy comparisons to All-Star outfielder George Springer, who preceded Haskin at Avon (Conn.) Old Farms School by a decade. 

______

I am not saying its true.  Just pointing to an opinion by Callis.

I didn’t say he wasn’t fast or athletic. He’s still not a base stealer and fast and athletic doesn’t necessarily make you a plus defender or even average.  I’d be interested and happy to see any reports about his actual defense in CF.