Michael Baumann 2022

Just Regular

Congratulations on your first win of 2022!

Ye olde Statcast readings of the 4-Seam Fastball as a multi-inning reliever:

Pitch 5 = 97.8

Pitch 11 = 97.1   (10 was a curveball)

Pitch 15 = 96.8

Pitch 20 = 97.9

Pitch 25 = 96.9

Pitch 30 = 95.8

Pitch 37 = 96.0  (last pitch of today)

Eight of the 10 fastest pitches in the game, with Jorge Lopez getting the other two.   Looking forward to seeing both in smaller niches!

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

You guys don't think it's too early to give up on him as a starter? He sustained his stuff so well late into games in 2019 (I guess that was? Because 2020 was cancelled for minors) that I think it would be a bit premature to give up on him as a starter now that he's got his stuff back. 

58 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

You guys don't think it's too early to give up on him as a starter? He sustained his stuff so well late into games in 2019 (I guess that was? Because 2020 was cancelled for minors) that I think it would be a bit premature to give up on him as a starter now that he's got his stuff back. 

I think it's something they will explore again in 2023, similar to Wells this year.

1 hour ago, Flash- bd said:

I think he can be a starter.   They are still building him up in terms of innings. But starter or reliever he can be an impact pitcher.

He’ll probably get the opportunity to pitch 2-4 innings in the early part of the year. It’s up to him if he’s a SP. 

Here’s what I think: it’s a long season. I think before it’s over at least 10 and maybe 14 different pitchers will have started a game.    Last year 15 started a game, and 11 started at least 6 times.  Only 4 of the 15 were used exclusively as starters, and they accounted for only 73 starts.   So yes, I think Baumann could find himself being used as a starter some of the time.   Will he become a full time rotation guy?   Let’s see how he pitches.  

I doubt they've ruled him out as a rotation candidate. Roch mentioned today the gut reaction would be to install him in the rotation now. I don't think it really matters with all the young guys going like max 65 pitches for the first part of the season. The stuff was great yesterday. Location seemed a bit erratic. 

I think a lot about Freddy Peralta when I think about some of today's forward thinking organizations growing their top pitchers.   Between 2018 and 2020, all three years in the big leagues he worked a mix of SP and RP averaging about 85 innings/year (doing a back of napkin translation of 2020 to 162-game scale).

Baumann, Bradish, DL Hall...all the other guys a tick or two down...if they can hold their own I think that is what their 2022-2024's look like.    

5 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I think a lot about Freddy Peralta when I think about some of today's forward thinking organizations growing their top pitchers.   Between 2018 and 2020, all three years in the big leagues he worked a mix of SP and RP averaging about 85 innings/year (doing a back of napkin translation of 2020 to 162-game scale).

Baumann, Bradish, DL Hall...all the other guys a tick or two down...if they can hold their own I think that is what their 2022-2024's look like.    

It would be nice if they could learn to pitch and not just throw hard.

I believe this is our biggest problem, teaching pitching.

Our guys just seems to lack command, and confidence in their stuff.

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

So what happened? He was good for an inning and then lost it? Box score didn't look too bad but I'd be curious to hear the eye test reports if anyone was watching.

He came in with runners on first and third with one out, and induced a double play that bailed out our starter, Chris Ellis.   But the next inning his command wasn’t good.   He walked one guy on four pitches, got behind on other hitters and allowed two hits including a screaming double in the gap that scored the two runs.   Bad location on his pitches in that inning did him in IMO.

• Thanks 2