The LF wall tracker

OsEatAlEast

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

So was that a ball that gets out with the old dimensions?    Is it a jump at the fence play?

I don’t think so. Watching it, the ball appears to hit the front part of the fence where the wall wasn’t moved. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

I don’t think so. Watching it, the ball appears to hit the front part of the fence where the wall wasn’t moved. 

Agreed, that one came down on the old fence. Whether the corner messed with the outfielders enough to prevent one of them from catching it is a matter of debate, I suppose.

Edit - I didn't think the angle had anything to do with the carom, either. It looked to me like it hit off the old wall facing.

Edited by deward
Forgot something

15 hours ago, emmett16 said:

It was inevitable someone was going to sprint, on a sharply hit ball, into the corner.  While dangerous it was an exciting play. 

Outfielders have been running into walls for as long as there have been walls.  See Mancini, Trey.  Players will get used to it.

5 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Outfielders have been running into walls for as long as there have been walls.  See Mancini, Trey.  Players will get used to it.

It’s the sharp corner that’s potentially dangerous.  

ESPN’s Dave Schoenfeld:  “About that left-field fence. The Orioles moved the fence as much as 30 feet back in some sections and raised the height from 7 feet to 13 feet. Combined with the dead ball, Camden Yards is now playing like a medieval fortress -- a wet, soggy medieval fortress in the middle of Scotland in January.”

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/33842026/first-month-grades-all-30-mlb-teams-handing-an-f-minus-minus

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

ESPN’s Dave Schoenfeld:  “About that left-field fence. The Orioles moved the fence as much as 30 feet back in some sections and raised the height from 7 feet to 13 feet. Combined with the dead ball, Camden Yards is now playing like a medieval fortress -- a wet, soggy medieval fortress in the middle of Scotland in January.”

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/33842026/first-month-grades-all-30-mlb-teams-handing-an-f-minus-minus

It feels like we complain about the ball feeling dead every April and May in Baltimore. The weather will turn and the ball will fly soon enough. 

That's when we'll see the real affect of the wall though, and I'm not sure if we'll love it or hate it.

Chirinos just hit one that would have been out last year, caught near the warning track.  We’d already scored 6 in the inning, so that takes the edge off a bit.   So far, of the 4 homers taken away by the new dimensions, 3 were hit by the O’s.  

10 hours ago, Sanfran327 said:

It feels like we complain about the ball feeling dead every April and May in Baltimore. The weather will turn and the ball will fly soon enough. 

That's when we'll see the real affect of the wall though, and I'm not sure if we'll love it or hate it.

A vote here for love.  I'm done with bandboxes.  Bring on a 470' sign in center.

10 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Its hard to tell how the wall is playing because the ball has been softened/deadened. To the point where offense is at a historic low. 

As of today runs are at 4.04 per game.  That's 25th-lowest of all time.  Right around the same level as 1966, 1963, 1971, 2014...