Not a Bad Idea? Lopez as closer

wildcard

I guess he got lit up in his bad outing, but I saw him pitch yesterday and I guess you could say he's the guy that deserves an extended look at closer. Great velocity, good movement, and just enough of a change and a breaking ball to play off of that velo. He seemed to really confuse some A's hitters, but he was facing the bottom half of the order in the 9th. 

Might as well give him the job until he plays himself out of it.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Might as well give him the job until he plays himself out of it.

This is where I'm at.  One could argue (and I'm not necessarily arguing this, it's still too early) that other pieces in the bullpen are settling into their roles.  I'm not sure if I'd be switching guys in and out of the closer role at the moment.  Lopez looks pretty good.

59 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Glad he's found his magic hat and wand since he seemed to have lost it all of last year.  Maybe they were in a clubhouse couch cushion or something.

Never heard why he left the team for over a month last year. Something was obvious happening.

39 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is where I'm at.  One could argue (and I'm not necessarily arguing this, it's still too early) that other pieces in the bullpen are settling into their roles.  I'm not sure if I'd be switching guys in and out of the closer role at the moment.  Lopez looks pretty good.

I need to see more.   Against a weak offense, in front of 2300 fans.   The real test is in Toronto and Boston vs a full house with  one run lead.

Just now, wildcard said:

I need to see more.   Against a weak offense, in front of 2300 fans.   The real test is in Toronto and Boston vs a full house with  one run lead.

Well, it looks like it's Opposite Day on the OH.  The king of small sample sizes is arguing for bigger sample sizes.

WC, I agree.  I think we all agree that we need to see more.  But there's some things to like here.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, it looks like it's Opposite Day on the OH.  The king of small sample sizes is arguing for bigger sample sizes.

WC, I agree.  I think we all agree that we need to see more.  But there's some things to like here.  

Oh, I like to see him pitch well.  I just need to see more.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I agree, I think we all do. 

If he can be a guy that Elias and Sig and Co. turned around, that would be quite a success story.  Dude's got an electric arm, just a matter of harnessing it.  

Yep - for that small sample and his previous outing, we have seen pitching we haven't seen in quite a while.  Good for them.

My earlier post hasn’t aged well, but I’ve always liked his stuff.

The team was awful last year, so there was no reason not to try him as a starter. He had the same stuff then, but the 4th or 5th innings seemed to be roadblocks he couldn’t get past. So, to me, the problem has been between his ears. In all fairness, the personal issue may have distracted him, but he just seems better suited to relief and late game pressure doesn’t seem to be an issue….yet. 

All I know is he was lights out last night.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Never heard why he left the team for over a month last year. Something was obvious happening.

Lopez’ toddler son had a very serious illness, and had to undergo a scary procedure. He pitched most of the year with that on his mind. I do not recall the details, but it could have been a fatal situation. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Lopez’ toddler son had a very serious illness, and had to undergo a scary procedure. He pitched most of the year with that on his mind. I do not recall the details, but it could have been a fatal situation. 

IIRC, his son had cancer.  That's why he was gone as well as the reason he shaved his head last year, to support his son.

• Thanks 1