Austin Hays 2022

Ohfan67

There was concern with Hays last season because of his stat line against RHP was .221/.283/.400 in 2021 vs .308/.346/51 against LHP. 

This season (through 5/08) that has flipped with Hays putting up a .351/.417/.541 against RHP and .222/.323/.333 against LHP. Granted it's been a SSS so far, but I was never that concerned that Hays would be a relegated to hitting primarily against LHP.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=haysau01&year=2022&t=b

Here are the terms of this streak.   Austin Hays keeps getting on base multiple times every game - I'll keep copy pasting this every morning.    Hot streaks are fun.    Watch out for TBD tonight, you and the boys can handle this pitcher.

Offensive WAR

1.Trout • LAA 1.9

2.Ramirez • CLE 1.9

3.Franco • TBR 1.8

4.Crawford • SEA 1.8

5.Ward • LAA 1.7

6.Hays • BAL 1.5

Judge • NYY 1.5

8.Anderson • CHW 1.4

9.Buxton • MIN 1.4

10.Bogaerts • BOS 1.3

7 minutes ago, oldfan said:

Making productive outs is something this team is terrible at. Like a lead off double and the guy is still standing there after a popup and two strikeouts.

This is true so far this year.   BB-ref tracks so-called “productive outs” which they define as follows:

Successful Sac for a pitcher with one out.
Advancing any runner with none out.
Driving in a baserunner with the second out of the inning.

The O’s have done this only 24.8% of the time, 12th in the league and well below league average of 29.1%.   But it should be noted that even though the O’s are below average, the entire league makes unproductive outs over 70% of the time on average.    

• 2 weeks later...

Huge pinch hit by Hays with two outs in the 9th to tie this game today.   I mentioned in the game thread, Hays always seems to have very good at bats in key late game situations.   I’m always comfortable having him up there when it counts.   

And, by the way, he nailed another runner at the plate on Friday night to help us win that one.   

To me, he’s a really fun, dynamic player.   I know there’s some risk, but I’d be happy if the O’s extended him.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Huge pinch hit by Hays with two outs in the 9th to tie this game today.   I mentioned in the game thread, Hays always seems to have very good at bats in key late game situations.   I’m always comfortable having him up there when it counts.   

And, by the way, he nailed another runner at the plate on Friday night to help us win that one.   

To me, he’s a really fun, dynamic player.   I know there’s some risk, but I’d be happy if the O’s extended him.

I agree on extending him.  He is a workhorse, not only in games but in preparing himself physically.  I think with his work ethic he'll still be a strong player into his early 30's, so might as well try to extend him and build around him.  He'll have the occasional pulled hamstring or injury from crashing into the wall, but that is more than worth it.

Pregame show just had a graphic highlighting his 2022 improvement against breaking stuff.

Late 2021 his ability to crush fastballs was a notable strength.   I hadn't appreciated some of his this year improvement was vs. the bendy stuff.   Highlight segment included the clutch hit off Ryan Thompson and his underhand breaking ball, along with the hit in the Cole rally last night.

2021 - 184 avg/340 slg/41% whiff against breaking balls

2022 - 358 avg/566 slg/27% whiff

• Upvote 2