O's 2nd in the AL with a 3.04 team ERA

wildcard

The Os played 26 games last April.  In half of them, they gave up 3 runs or less.

For the month, the team had an ERA of 4.01 and were 15th in MLB overall and 8th in the AL.  

They went on to have a historically bad pitching year and did it with Means in the rotation. 

In other words, maybe the excitement level should be drawn in a little bit.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

While I’m happy about it, this really is a very small sample.   Last year the team had a 4.01 ERA in March/April, then never had a month under 5.35 the rest of the year, including a month at 7.43.   I’d say if the team ERA remains respectable for two straight months, it will be time to pay attention.   

PS - I see SG beat me to it, while I was typing my response.   

• Upvote 2

Been trying to post a link but can't seem to do it from my phone.  Work won't let me access twitter.  Maybe someone else is linked to pitching_bot?

It shows a graph on pitchers based on things like "poor stuff, good locations", "good stuff, poor locations".  The Orioles are 1 of 6 teams (Marlins, Rays, Giants, Mets, Red Sox) who fall under Good Stuff, Good Locations.  Obviously SSS.  But encouraging.  

• Upvote 2

Yankees have scored the least amount of runs in 10 games since 1977 to start a year. They won the World Series that year Just saying SSS to start a season and the Yankees offense is looking like they need a few bounce backs  and some guys who have never hit well to step up. SSS for this early means  not much. But better to start with a low ERA 

28 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Os played 26 games last April.  In half of them, they gave up 3 runs or less.

For the month, the team had an ERA of 4.01 and were 15th in MLB overall and 8th in the AL.  

They went on to have a historically bad pitching year and did it with Means in the rotation. 

In other words, maybe the excitement level should be drawn in a little bit.

Means is gone and Diplan, Lakins and probably Harvey are on the way to help. 

The bullpen has been great but also has been very taxed already. I'm concerned about them holding up but using bulk relievers have helped. Unfortunately Elias traded a bulk reliever for a 1-2 inning guy.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

It seems to me that they really value the CU as a secondary pitch you throw a lot.  I personally love that. 

Tate's is filthy and Zimmerman's is looking really good.  The good location makes me wonder how much the catcher is playing a part.  I know that's hard to calculate... but maybe its making somewhat of a difference.