Potential 1st over pick info: Druw Jones - HS

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I honestly don't remember but it doesn't feel like Jones has become the clear #1 until recently, meaning within the last 4-5 weeks.   I'd see most of his rising to #1 has to do with him putting up pretty impressive offensive numbers during his HS season.   I still see comments about his swing needing work even though he makes consistent hard contact.    So, I still see slight concerns about his bat.   Of course, no player is a sure thing.   T

Yeah, I think the semi-consensus on Jones is based on how he’s looked at the plate this season - not just numbers, but how his swing has looked.   It’s more a perception that he has stepped up a notch than that anyone else has stepped back.   

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

So how much overslot would you be willing to go for Jones?

Zero. He's going to turn down 8.8 million to go to college for three years to, at best, go #1 again? I'm not going to be insulting and offer 7m, but going overslot would be silly 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, seak05 said:

Zero. He's going to turn down 8.8 million to go to college for three years to, at best, go #1 again? I'm not going to be insulting and offer 7m, but going overslot would be silly 

Agreed.   Pay him $100 more than Tork got so he can say he broke the record.  

• Upvote 2

Maybe it's not about saving money to spend later. Maybe it's about taking who they like best and if they can leverage that into savings to use later, so be it.  From what I read Jones is #1 but it's not a Harper or Strasburg situation where there was a big gap between 1 and the rest.

• Upvote 2

I think the gap is getting wider, but I think the point SG is pushing is that after 4 years of building the franchise it is time to take a swing for the fences.  So for me, Jones or Green would fit that bill even though I definitely prefer Jones today.  

This would appear to be the year to take a HS kid over a college bat.  Jones has a tremendous pedigree and Green has flashed tremendous tools and upside.

I am excited to see how it plays out.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, foxfield said:

I think the gap is getting wider, but I think the point SG is pushing is that after 4 years of building the franchise it is time to take a swing for the fences.  So for me, Jones or Green would fit that bill even though I definitely prefer Jones today.  

This would appear to be the year to take a HS kid over a college bat.  Jones has a tremendous pedigree and Green has flashed tremendous tools and upside.

I am excited to see how it plays out.

It’s also the point that traditionally, spending less to get overslot players (or at least overslot that you normally couldn’t sign) isn’t really worth it.  Take your best player.  Elite talent is what wins.

Best player doesn't always equal most talented. That's been shown time and time again.  

I like Druw Jones. No problem if he's the pick. I'm not jumping off a cliff if he isn't the pick because if he isn't the pick it's because some don't think he's the slam dunk best player in this draft.

Baseball America had a mock draft 3.0 on April 28.  They had a "scout" alternating picks with the writer.  It appeared as if it were their choices as opposed to guessing who each team would take. The scout took Brooks Lee first and then the writer took Jones.  

Again, Jones sounds great but I don't think he's a slam dunk for everyone in baseball circles.

The scout said Lee is a step slow at SS but always seems to be in the right place, suggesting that maybe he sticks at SS.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Baseball America had a mock draft 3.0 on April 28.  They had a "scout" alternating picks with the writer.  It appeared as if it were their choices as opposed to guessing who each team would take. The scout took Brooks Lee first and then the writer took Jones.  

Again, Jones sounds great but I don't think he's a slam dunk for everyone in baseball circles.

The scout said Lee is a step slow at SS but always seems to be in the right place, suggesting that maybe he sticks at SS.

I think a pick of Lee would be viewed as an 'under-slot' pick.  That might not actually be true, but, personally, that's how I would view it. 

At least one mock I've seen with Lee instead of Jones going to Baltimore at 1.1 has been framed within the perceived Elias/Baltimore under-slot strategy.  On the flip-side, there's no telling how many of those mocking Jones @ 1.1 are 'going chalk' either.

Just now, btdart20 said:

I think a pick of Lee would be viewed as an 'under-slot' pick.  That might not actually be true, but, personally, that's how I would view it. 

At least one mock I've seen with Lee instead of Jones going to Baltimore at 1.1 has been framed within the perceived Elias/Baltimore under-slot strategy.  On the flip-side, there's no telling how many of those mocking Jones @ 1.1 are 'going chalk' either.

If you pay him near slot and more than Jones gets at #2 I don't see how anyone could rightfully view it as an under slot pick.

• Upvote 1