Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He also said that about Grayson and sent him down after two innings of work.  😉

I don't think you bring a Chirinos on board if you are planning on having Adley be your opening day starter.

Everything we've seen from him has him being very concerned about service time. 

The odds of Grayson being ready / capable of returning a pick were nowhere near what they were with Adley.  The strategically smart play with Grayson was to start in Norfolk. 

Unless Elias thought Adley was not as good of a prospect as he seemed to everyone else the smart play was to go for the pick.  

When it comes to Gunnar it would be irrational to bring him up early enough to lose eligibility to potentially return a draft pick.  I think Gunnar will be instructive of how he would have handled Adley if healthy and by extenssion what he values.  Do they bring him up later this year and put him in a position to win a pick or do they hold him back a few months into 2023.

Edited by geschinger

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He also said that Hall would be spending "much" of the season in the majors.

I don't think you bring a Chirinos on board if you are planning on having Adley be your opening day starter.

Agree with most of this, except the Chirinos part.

Chirinos was entering his age 38 season, had never started more than 110 games at catcher, had only started 81+ games at catcher three times in his entire career, and had started 43 games at catcher over the previous two seasons combined.

Signing Chirinos was not at all inconsistent with having Adley as a potential opening day starter.

Edited by MurphDogg
  • Upvote 1

Henderson appears to have heated right back up.

While he did have a pedestrian (by his standards) 826 OPS in the month of July, his last 28 days OPS is 1062, so it really appears that he just had a VERY cold beginning of July and then has proceeded to go right back to mashing.

Ramon Urias might be headed for a bit of a cold streak (298 OPS in his last 7 games, 636 OPS in his last 14) but I'm not sure that'll warrant a call-up from Henderson.  Something tells me if it was gonna happen, it would have happened by now!

25 minutes ago, Orioles Jim said:

While he did have a pedestrian (by his standards) 826 OPS in the month of July, his last 28 days OPS is 1062, so it really appears that he just had a VERY cold beginning of July and then has proceeded to go right back to mashing.

Ramon Urias might be headed for a bit of a cold streak (298 OPS in his last 7 games, 636 OPS in his last 14) but I'm not sure that'll warrant a call-up from Henderson.  Something tells me if it was gonna happen, it would have happened by now!

Elias likes to make his big prospect promotions on Mondays.    So i think from here on out we will be checking those twitter reports with great anticipation every Monday.  Stowers should be soon.......and Henderson and Hall could be not far behind.

On 8/2/2022 at 10:07 AM, Can_of_corn said:

He also said that Hall would be spending "much" of the season in the majors.

Chirinos is exactly the kind of catcher you sign if you plan on Adley being on the OD roster. Older part time player

As to some grand conspiracy around Adley’s injury, Scott boras isn’t exactly a quietly into the night agent. If he thought they were lying, I suspect we’d know.

(as to hall I wonder if Elias regrets having said that, I think he expected hall to be more consistently dominant at triple a then he has been) 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Orioles Jim said:

I mean, we did call up Manny in August to play third in 2012.... and as I keep saying, 2012=2022. So....

Summary from Tides Game Notes from last night:

TOP GUNNAR: Extending his hitting streak to 14 games tonight was Gunnar Henderson, who went 2-for-5...during that streak, he’s batting .364 (20-for-55) with 11 runs, three doubles, two triples, three home runs, nine RBI and seven walks...it’s the longest hitting streak by a Tide this season...in all, it’s longest active hitting streak in the International League...he hasn’t struck out more than once in 16 straight games (since July 8), the second-longest streak by a Tide this season.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

This is huge for him. Probably was the biggest need developmentally, so if he’s sorted that out and can hit LHP now, look out.  

I’m not sure what other boxes he needs to check in Elias’ eyes, but this has to be one of the last ones out there. 

2 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

This is huge for him. Probably was the biggest need developmentally, so if he’s sorted that out and can hit LHP now, look out.  

I’m not sure what other boxes he needs to check in Elias’ eyes, but this has to be one of the last ones out there. 

I'm hoping they bring him up ~3 weeks from now.  Keep him under 45 days of service time and get him ~120 ABs.  He's got enough talent that the goal should be to keep the option available of earning another pick.  Makes no sense to give up that optionality for an extra week or two unless they really think playoffs are a legitimate possibility this year.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, geschinger said:

I'm hoping they bring him up ~3 weeks from now.  Keep him under 45 days of service time and get him ~120 ABs.  He's got enough talent that the goal should be to keep the option available of earning another pick.  Makes no sense to give up that optionality for an extra week or two unless they really think playoffs are a legitimate possibility this year.

This seems right to me.

14 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

It’s a little nitpicky, but since his promotion to triple a his gb% has increased to almost 50%, and his k% is almost double his bb% (23-13)

I’m in camp bring him up mid-august, but there are a couple things I could see them wanting him to improve