Jorge Mateo

RZNJ

25 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

No, of course not, but at least there is some life, some hustle

The double itself was evidence of life and hustle.  Now just get rid of overrunning the base.

Though in all honestly, he was thinking three.

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

The double itself was evidence of life and hustle.  Now just get rid of overrunning the base.

Though in all honestly, he was thinking three.

LOL I was thinking the same. If he could make consistent contact, he's got the speed to be a real problem for teams 

• Upvote 1

With some regular playing time for the first time in his career, could his offense settle a bit around a .250BA and an increased walk rate to raise his OBP to somewhere around .315? 

I’m not suggesting that he has the defensive prowess of Andrelton Simmons in his prime but if Mateo can slash .235-.250/.315-.330/.350-.365 and end up with an OPS somewhere .650 - .700 with consistent and sometimes exceptional defense without costing the team runs/games with bad infield play, I could see him becoming a poor man’s Simmons. 

A stretch? Maybe but the more run he gets the more we will know about the type of player that he ultimately will be (thanks captain obvious) but it sure would go a long way for this franchise to not have to worry about who is penciled in at short. 

if he gets on base consistently he speed absolutely disrupts games. Again, it could be a stretch but I see some Simmons in his profile. 

• Upvote 1

He’s a guy that I would love to see cut down his swing just a little bit and drop that strikeout ratio from the 30% or so he’s at now. It seems like half his extra base hits are coming from his legs rather than his bat anyway. But I realize asking any modern hitter to try to focus on making contact is probably a fool’s errand. Either way, he’s fun to watch.

Mateo could be the everyday SS on a good team. He'd likely be the 9-hole hitter, but the speed and solid defense could allow him to stick there. If Henderson can stick at SS that would be a better option, of course, or if Westburg can get over his struggles and play like we hope with enough defense to stick at SS, he'd be a better option. But given most think Henderson is ticketed more for 3B and Westburg is more 2B than SS, having Mateo is a nice in-house option to fill the SS spot for a few years.

This was exactly what I wanted to see. Put him at SS and leave him there. The defense shows how hard he has worked. Better instincts than I expected. The offense will come, all of the tools are there. He won’t be a 9 hole hitter forever. Needs to stop stepping out with the front foot, unless he wants to get right on top of the plate. Looks improved, but still some to go with that so he can barrel balls on the outside corner.