Jorge Mateo

RZNJ

15 hours ago, Pickles said:

The double itself was evidence of life and hustle.  Now just get rid of overrunning the base.

Though in all honestly, he was thinking three.

He was definitely thinking 3 on that play.  He started to slide head first into second until he saw Bader boot the ball in center.  That's when he pulled up and rounded second,  thinking he would take third.  Then he noticed the ball didn't get kicked far enough from Bader so he put on the brakes and had to dive back into second.  

I certainly think Mateo looks better defensively this year than last year.  He’s done a very good job on defense and especially both ends of DP grounders.   

Offensively he needs to cut down on strikeouts, otherwise he’s not bad.  He’s done enough in the first 30 games that I want him to continue to be the everyday SS and let’s see how he develops as the year progresses.  

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I certainly think Mateo looks better defensively this year than last year.  He’s done a very good job on defense and especially both ends of DP grounders.   

Offensively he needs to cut down on strikeouts, otherwise he’s not bad.  He’s done enough in the first 30 games that I want him to continue to be the everyday SS and let’s see how he develops as the year progresses.  

I agree.  

With that in mind - is there any reason to keep Richie Martin in the system now?

Up to 0.9 rWAR right now. Most of that is from his 0.5 dWAR. Even though his offensive stats are pretty weak, it still feels like he's not a blackhole up there. Would love to see him go on an offensive tear. 

Currently his OPS is about 100 points lower than it was last year in roughly the same amount of ABs. So definitely room to improve. However, they are pretty much the same numbers for his 2021 in total when factoring in SD. 

19 minutes ago, interloper said:

Up to 0.9 rWAR right now. Most of that is from his 0.5 dWAR. Even though his offensive stats are pretty weak, it still feels like he's not a blackhole up there. Would love to see him go on an offensive tear. 

Currently his OPS is about 100 points lower than it was last year in roughly the same amount of ABs. So definitely room to improve. However, they are pretty much the same numbers for his 2021 in total when factoring in SD. 

His OPS+ is 91, not terrible for a (league average at SS so far this year is 98 but many teams are way below that).   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, interloper said:

As many know, I love Mateo. He has made some of the prettiest plays I have seen in a long time. Fun to watch!

16 hours ago, Yossarian said:

I agree.  

With that in mind - is there any reason to keep Richie Martin in the system now?

Injury depth or stopgap depth in case someone makes a good trade offer for Mateo? I am not super high on Martin but he has enough tools that he is worth keeping around as long as he is cheap and under team control. Even with Mateo he is currently on the taxi squad so there is some value there.

17 hours ago, Yossarian said:

I agree.  

Why would you release a SS in AAA just because Mateo is playing well? Martin's not even on the 40-man roster yet. That would be like releasing Dean Kremer just because Bruce Zimmermann is pitching well. Makes no sense. 

• Upvote 1

Dude is just a fireball. Great double play to end the game just now, ranging out to shallow CF and making a tricky over-the-shoulder basket catch, then doubling up the runner off first base to complete the play.

I'll say it: Mateo is my current favorite Oriole (at least until Monday afternoon).

6 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Dude is just a fireball. Great double play to end the game just now, ranging out to shallow CF and making a tricky over-the-shoulder basket catch, then doubling up the runner off first base to complete the play.

I'll say it: Mateo is my current favorite Oriole (at least until Monday afternoon).

Truth is, he got to that ball rather easily. He’s got speed to burn and read that ball well off the bat.  I don’t know what the runner was thinking.   

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Truth is, he got to that ball rather easily. He’s got speed to burn and read that ball well off the bat.  I don’t know what the runner was thinking.   

He really did. I'm guessing the runner didn't have the scouting report on him and perhaps wasn't aware of his speed and how easily he'd get to that ball.