Jorge Mateo

RZNJ

With his speed, Mateo should get playing time at CF, if not during the regular season, then in the Dominican winter league.  If he can play around the field, he could be the multi-positional everyday player in any of the LF, CF, RF, SS, 2B and 3B.  These players are especially valuable today with the short benches.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

With his speed, Mateo should get playing time at CF, if not during the regular season, then in the Dominican winter league.  If he can play around the field, he could be the multi-positional everyday player in any of the LF, CF, RF, SS, 2B and 3B.  These players are especially valuable today with the short benches.

I was thinking that but a SS to me has plenty of value by itself.  Mateo might not have he bat to play CF though his range is probably better than Mullins.

Just now, RZNJ said:

I know this may sound silly to some but why try to make a super utility guy out of Mateo when he's beginning to look like a perfectly fine ML starting SS.    He turns 27 next month.   He's got less than a season of AB's and defense under his belt.    He looks really good on defense.  He runs like the wind.    He's not a black hole in the lineup.    If the bat comes around a little bit more, we've got something.   He's biggest flaw as a hitter is the plate discipline but he's actually been striking out less.   

Love this! Yes. At the very least, hopefully he stays healthy and let him play there permanently. He was a good grab bc teams didn’t give him time to develop, the potential is there. High ceiling too imo. 

29 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I know this may sound silly to some but why try to make a super utility guy out of Mateo when he's beginning to look like a perfectly fine ML starting SS.    He turns 27 next month.   He's got less than a season of AB's and defense under his belt.    He looks really good on defense.  He runs like the wind.    He's not a black hole in the lineup.    If the bat comes around a little bit more, we've got something.   He's biggest flaw as a hitter is the plate discipline but he's actually been striking out less.   

I agree with you.   He’s been very good defensively and he’s not killing us offensively.   He’s playing at a 5 rWAR clip right now.  I wouldn’t mess with what’s working.   If it stops working, fine.   

The game-ending DP was great in a nail-biter of a game, and hia solo homer helped make the difference, but aside from that: the play he made in the 6th inning up the middle on a hard grounder by Edman (grab behind the bag, spin throw, a good pick from Mancini) was a play that I seriously don’t think any Orioles SS could have made in recent memory, Hardy or Iglesias included, because neither were that quick. It didn’t look amazing but I think that’s only because of his athleticism. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

The game-ending DP was great in a nail-biter of a game, and hia solo homer helped make the difference, but aside from that: the play he made in the 6th inning up the middle on a hard grounder by Edman (grab behind the bag, spin throw, a good pick from Mancini) was a play that I seriously don’t think any Orioles SS could have made in recent memory, Hardy or Iglesias included, because neither were that quick. It didn’t look amazing but I think that’s only because of his athleticism. 

Great point, that was a huge play as well.

On 5/11/2022 at 3:50 PM, interloper said:

Up to 0.9 rWAR right now. Most of that is from his 0.5 dWAR. Even though his offensive stats are pretty weak, it still feels like he's not a blackhole up there. Would love to see him go on an offensive tear. 

Currently his OPS is about 100 points lower than it was last year in roughly the same amount of ABs. So definitely room to improve. However, they are pretty much the same numbers for his 2021 in total when factoring in SD. 

His defense has been nothing short of amazing this year. His range and arm has been a difference make and he's getting better at the routine play.  That double play to end the game was because I don't think the runner knew how fast he is and how much ground he can cover.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

How about Mark Belanger?